Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Musings on Solos
Posted by: 03lindsi (86.135.178.---)
Date: February 22, 2013 01:18AM

I was casually looking at some harmonica merchandise like t-shirts and the like. I came across this t-shirt design which had the slogan

"One-note harmonica solos are pure genius"

And I wondered what were peoples thoughts on this? Obviously everyone has their own preferences, styles and tastes but I am interested in hearing them. I have this discussion with a friend not infrequently, who I very much respect his opinion on music, and he completely disagrees with the above slogan.

I personally think that one-note solos are quite different from the stereotypical harmonica solos, so it makes a nice and sometimes surprising (in the right hands) change. Also I am more of a chromatic player than a diatonic player so that would have probably shaped my view.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Musings on Solos
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2013 03:35AM

Music can be made with one note, but it would be more of an accompaniment than a solo. Jon Gindick, in a beginners lesson, showed how one note can sound musical. I would hardly call it genious, though.

Posted by: WaltP (173.46.189.---)
Date: February 22, 2013 01:22PM

I kind of got the feeling they were having a bit of fun at the harp players expense,in that they were expressing the opinion of the other members of the band. If not, never mind.

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: February 23, 2013 10:00AM

Walt may have something there, but I must say that I agree with what gene said.

Posted by: harmusman (82.44.234.---)
Date: February 24, 2013 03:59PM

yes I agree with Walt's opinion, slogans on T shirts are invariably of the tongue in cheek variety rather than serious debate. Interestingly I wonder just how many of these contributor comments here, will be Chromatic players.

Posted by: rbone (75.38.130.---)
Date: February 25, 2013 03:55PM

Depends on the talent of the player. Just because it's one note doesn't make it genius. But in the hands (or mouth) of a harmonica genius it could be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.