Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
My songs
Posted by: nicky2002 (75.41.71.---)
Date: February 21, 2013 03:37AM

Everyone please look at my tabs and favorite them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My songs
Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.182.---)
Date: February 21, 2013 03:03PM

Nicholas, are they your songs that you made up? Or, are they actual songs that one would hear on the radio or that could be purchased in LP, CD, tape, or MP3/digital format?

Date: February 22, 2013 01:09AM

I make them up

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2013 03:31AM

If you make them up, nobody has heard them. Without having heard the song, tabs don't help much because tabs do not show the lengths of notes or the rests.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2013 09:51AM by gene.

Posted by: 03lindsi (86.135.178.---)
Date: February 22, 2013 01:12PM

Or if there are chords

Date: February 22, 2013 03:25PM

Nicholas, it's good that you're excited about the hamonica. We all share in your excitement for these little instruments. That's why we're all here.smiling smiley It's also good that you've taken an interest in the point system.

However, there are strong guilelines ("rules" ) that we, as members of this group, are expected to follow. For instance, you cannot steal, or copy, someone else's work and post it as your own. You cannot copy a tab from another site and post it here as your own. If you do either of those two things, the tabs you posted as "yours" will be taken down (deleted) by the Webmaster and you will be cautioned not to do it again. If, after that, you attemp again to post something that's not yours, you could be banned from this site permanently.

I'm not sure what the guidelines are for posting a tab to a made-up (imaginary) song. That's up to the Webmaster. Understand that you may be requested to take down all those tabs that you made-up, because they are not tabs to actual published music. Mind you, we still want you to try your hand at tabbing, but you have to tab actual songs.

You see, a tab is basically a "cheat sheet" for a particular piece of music. It's a "cheat sheet" because there's no timing in a tab. To use a tab, you need to already be familiar with the song/music. If it's something that someone "just made up" it's of no use to anyone because nobody can hear what's going on in that person's head, and because of that it ends up taking up valuable bandwith and space here on the site.

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2013 04:18PM

As the other members posted without knowing a song it isn't possible to play it by just a tab. You would need sheet music for that. People come to this site really looking for songs they already know and just want to play on the harmonica.

One a side note the point system is based on popularity of what you post as well as the amount you post. If a lot of people like what you post and view it it gains a lot more points then just posting things that people wouldn't know. That is why when you look at the list of Top members you will see some of them don't have a lot of songs posted but the songs they have posted are very popular.

Date: February 22, 2013 09:25PM

Ok

Date: February 22, 2013 11:44PM

Nicky, you say "Ok", and then turn around and do the same thing again. Including a jpeg of a picture of a piece of notebook paper with random notes and a couple rests all on one line (like the written word) without regard to time signature, type of clef, ledger lines, and measures is nothing more than jibberish. It is clearly something "made up". Music is more than just random notes on one line.

By continuing the behavior of posting made-up tabs in order to "rake up the points", your words, you may just wind up with no tabs posted at all and being permanently banned from this site. But that's the Webmaster's call.

The majority of people who post tabs here work at their tabs to make them good quality, usable tabs for other players who might be interested in learning the same song. That's what it's about. And if, perhaps, they do a quality job on the tab, other people just might decide to favorite that tab/song. They earned their points.

I'm disappointed in you, Nicholas.

Date: February 23, 2013 01:53AM

I f you don't like my tabs don't comment on them.

Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: February 23, 2013 05:45AM

Guy...

She explained to you why what you're doing is not only useless, but a little detrimental to everyone else on the site, it's not an issue of them just not being her cup of tea.

I don't understand exactly why you want the points so bad. The purpose of those points is to acknowledge people who made positive contributions to the site. If you're not making positive contributions, why do you feel good for getting credit for it? You can just buy yourself a trophy, you know. They're cheap.

[tinyurl.com]

But if you actually want to earn those points, here's the thing. You're actually going to have to post real songs. Real songs that people will actually be able to play from your tab. Find some sheet music for a song that's not tabbed yet that people actually know and then tab it. And even then it's just kind of luck of the draw to see if people care about that particular song. One of the last things I tabbed was this:

[harptabs.com]

Two versions of a real song. The first requires bends, but the second is easy enough to play. This happens to be one of the standout songs from an album that is universally held up as one of the greatest-- if not /the/ greatest-- albums ever recorded. I put it up a month ago and it has just 99 views.

The most popular thing I've tabbed has in the 5,000s, and while it's a good song, (Don't Fear the Reaper), I have to admit I don't know exactly why /that/ grabbed people here so much more than the other songs I've been posting by other popular bands. It just did.

But I'm not doing this for website points that I can use to buy a whole pocketful of absolutely jack. I'm doing it because it's hella fun. It's so fun I just used the word "hella" for the first time ever. And I'm about 10 years too late for that to be cool.

Point is, if for some reason you just really want to look like a big-shot around here you're gonna have to post real songs and hope they're popular. As for the stuff you make up-- if writing songs is enjoyable for you, that's tremendous, you have fun writing and playing your own songs, but those tabs aren't going to catch on here. The only views they're going to get is from people wondering "what the crap is this?" No one's knocking you if you like to write music, but some of us sure would appreciate it if you'd stop spamming up the site and instead post stuff we'd like to (or at least hypothetically /can/) play.

Hugs and kisses, stars and wishes,

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: February 23, 2013 10:50AM

Nicholas, what I am seeing is some kind people offering you advise on proper posting of tabs and how to post good tabs by letting you know what is wrong with your tabs, and these people do post good tabs, check some out if you haven't already. We encourage you and anyone to help in posting tabs to help this site, and are willing to help with any advise we can give to you to help you create good tabs, if you are serious about posting good tabs then you will look at their advise as helpful and not condemning. If you are just after points then you are wasting your time and our space, yea it may be nice to see your name in the top fifteen but to tell you the truth ,,, is correct that if you take the points away and if the webmaster was to remove the top fifteen contributors, you are still going to see the 10 newest tabs because we are tabbing to help other harp players to be able to play songs they like and to learn new ones. What is more rewarding to us than any number of points you can give us is knowing that people are viewing our tabs and enjoying playing them. One more piece of advise to you before I end, is that if you didn't notice, on a diatonic harmonica the 2 hole draw and 3 hole blow are the same note, I saw in the few tabs of yours that I opened that you used them next to each other so that is either pointless or you need to put an explanation as to why it is like that.

Posted by: harmusman (82.44.234.---)
Date: February 23, 2013 01:33PM

Well you have stirred up a hornets nest haven't you, All that has been said is correct and good advice to you. Do not be offended, and keep on playing, if you wish to be a contributor by way of tabbing, get yourself some Diatonic tabbing scale charts (You can get some from this site) this will help you to tabb from sheet music and at the same time it will give you an in to reading music of the notated scripts. To start off tab music songs that show the melody line (the words) this is the line you use and under your tabb numbers you should also write out the lyrics to be in sync with the note tabb. This can be a time consuming work, it takes me a couple of hours writing and sorting to get one song ready for insertion, but the reward is great, for you learn a lot about these facinating little instruments.

Date: February 23, 2013 02:50PM

I'll take their advice and add bar lines to make my music better!smiling smiley

Date: February 24, 2013 09:58AM

WAIT, NICKY, WAIT!!! SLOW DOWN!!!
My idea of the bar thing is NOT to make it easier for us to read, but for YOU to better understand the concept of rhythm structure. I sent you a link to a basic music theory site, but that site stinks. I'll look for better stuff when I have more time.

Here's what I'd like for you to do:
STOP POSTING TABS!! hot smiley
LOL! Don't feel offended or discouraged. You'll understand soon enough. If you want to tab stuff, do it on your computer. Maybe improve them later, and post them when you can bee really proud of them. Don't worry about those stupid points. If you want points, I'll give you a place to get them: In the "Instruction" section of the forum. I'll open a thread in there covering stuff you need to know. I wish I knew what you DO know. I see you know about writing eight notes, dotted halves, triplets and stuff like that. Other than that.
If you could, please tell us:
What do you know?
What do you want to do? (Song-writer?)
How old are you? (It matters.)
What kind of software do you have?
Can you/would you buy software?
What kind of equipment do you have? (Mic, amp, - OH!! Get a cheap electronic keyboard if you don't have one.)
Can you/would you buy equipment?
Will you LEARN the stuff we give you; not just read it and "consider it learned" ? (It'll have to be one step at a time, of course.)
What music do you like and/or what music would you like to play?
Are you attuned enough to recognize that, even in music you don't like, there may be stuff about it that could draw you into it, OR that you could take from it and use in what you DO like?

Another idea: Open a You Tube channel, and do not allow public access. Just allow it for those who have a link. You could play or hum tunes in your head for us so we can offer feedback, instruction, etc.

We're not teachers, here, but we like to help.

Ya know what would be cool? If you learn yer sht and lay down a midi backing track or something (We can help with that, too.) to your songs, put them on You Tube... THEN give us the tabs! smiling smiley

So, in conclusion:
Please stop posting tabs, for now. You're not ready for it.
Take me (us?) up on my (our?) offer to mentor you. (Where else ya gonna get free lessons??!!)

You can learn most of what you need to know about the harmonica at THIS SITE, though we here have been known to be very helpful to those that are stuck on something.

OK, I'm through, I think. I should probably post the following in a new thread like I was tellin' ya about, but it's not instruction; it's just kind of a hint or tip or something like that:

I read this on a site talking about song-writing: You could pull a tune out of your own head or you can cheat. Well, it's not really cheating; it's a legitamate method. It just might FEEL like cheating. You can "cheat" by taking a song or part of the song and copy it. Then make minor (at least) changes to the melody...Change it to something that still sounds good, and feels like you want it to. Then you might change the rhythm (Note lengths, rest) around some. (You should have some lyrics at least roughly in mind. They kinda act as a guide.) Now you have a brand new, original song that does not sound like the one you "copied." -------Try it sometime, today!

As far as real instruction: Buddy, I ain't got time right now. Maybe later, maybe tomorrow...I dunno. The first thing I want to get across to you is the concept of bar structure. Then maybe (past that) how a song is built...such as verse/chorus/bridge structure. (Heck, you can get that by PAYING ATTENTION
to what you listen to - and I mean in an anolytical way.

I can tell ya right now that there's A LOT of stuff I don't know, but I know how to recognize when and what I need to look up. It's been said that one learns a LOT when teaching others, so I have something to gain from this, too.

Oh, sumthin' else:
That link I sent you that I said stinks - - - What I was trying to show you is very basic stuff. Such as there are 4 quarter notes in a 4/4 bar. Are you clear on what I just said? Do you know what "4/4" means? (Like I said, I don't know what you DO know, so I (we?) need to know where to start.) Anyway, about that link: Maybe you could Google up a site that says it better or is simply more to your liking. If so, share it with us so we know what you're looking at. (I'm talking about that link or ANY links you'll later ---Find more & better sites.) Learn the best you can from the sites. If you have a question, TRY TO FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELF! THEN, if you're still stuck, or you just want to be sure - ASK US. ---Not 'cuz we don't wanna be bothered, but because we want you to THINK. If you piece the answers together yourself, you'll understand things better.

OK, NOW I'm done. Your turn. Tell us where you want to start. (Do you know enough to determine where you need to start, or are you ABSOLUTELY NEW to music?)

Answer that question and all the ones above. Then I'll respond by starting a thread in the "Instruction" section of the forum.

***Oh, gawd! What have I gotten myself into?*** ... winking smiley

Another disclaimor:
I'm by no means a music proffessor er anything like that, and I'm not a teacher, so I just hope I don't let you down.

Q: How do you eat an elephant?
A: One bite at a time.

Posted by: nicky2002 (75.41.70.---)
Date: February 25, 2013 12:22AM

Ok i will!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: February 25, 2013 02:50AM

..and yet you just posted another "Tab"...

hot smileyhot smileyRe: My songs
Date: February 25, 2013 03:46AM

There are powers here that can vaporize you, ya know...javascript:editor_tools_handle_subjectsmiley_select("hot smiley"winking smiley

Go to the "lessons" section and read the thread, "Basic Music Theory" (er sumthin' like that.

Date: February 25, 2013 04:16AM

Answer Gene's questions, Nicky2002.

If I told you your "music" was good, I would be lying to you and doing you an extreme disservice. It's NOT good at the moment, and quite frankly, it's nothing more than "glorified busy work". I took a look at your most recent "tab" and "piece". First of all, you have no clef. Second, you do not have your measure bars placed correctly in regards to timing. In one of your "pieces" marked 4/4 time, you have the correct four beats in the first measure, but in all the others you have either 3 1/2, or 4 1/2, or more than five. You have fermatas where they don't belong.
On your most recent "tab" and piece, you don't have a time signature listed and you're all over the place with your timing in regards to where you place your measures. There is also the inappropriate placing of a double bar-line. Either take the time to learn the information and show us that you're internalizing it, or stop posting "tabs" to non-existant songs.

Write your "music" on Manuscript paper with staffs, choose a clef, a time signature, a key, and place your notes on the appropriate line or space, also place the measure bars accordingly. If you including a triplet in your piece, mark it as a triplet. Eighth notes do not come in threes. Nor do they come in fours.

Again, answer Gene's questions.

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: February 25, 2013 09:36AM

As you can see,people here are still willing to give you a chance and help you out, but if you don't accept the offer, and follow the great advise you are getting and if you keep up the way you are doing things you are going to lose everything you just worked for alot faster than what it took you to post them.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.