Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Bending
Posted by: DragonZ151 (98.225.8.---)
Date: January 25, 2013 06:06AM

Hello i'm a beginner and i want to play some other songs but the include bending and i can't do can some one help?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bending
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2013 05:28PM

Proper embouchure is important.

Start with the draw 4 (just 'cuz it's easier).
As you draw, slowly articulate the word "you." At some point, the note will bend. Remember your mouth, tongue and jaw position so you can go right to it next time (or after some practicing).
Do the same on -3, -2, -1 and -6. The lower the note - the lower you need to drop your jaw.

Remember - Draw 2 has two bends and draw 3 has 3 bends. (Those three bends are kinda hard to find.)

Posted by: DragonZ151 (98.225.8.---)
Date: January 26, 2013 07:00PM

Hey thanks i think i got it but i'll keep practicing.smiling smiley

Posted by: martinjw1959 (86.152.165.---)
Date: February 08, 2013 07:19PM

This is the best bending tip I have come across. I was struggling with the 2 and 3 draw but this has helped a lot. Thank you!smiling smiley

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2013 08:35PM

cool smiley

I got that description from some David Barrett material.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2013 08:39PM by gene.

Posted by: harmusman (82.44.234.---)
Date: February 23, 2013 05:08PM

There are many and varied tips on bending Some advise one to contort the tongue and lower jaw into certain positions.I have found that one can bend easily at will just by tilting the harmonica downwards in the mouth, this comes from J P Allens embouchre advice on deep mouth playing where he tells how to obtain single notes by tilting the harp down into the lower lip. while playing this way further tilting brings the harp down until you are drawing air through the top half of the aperture this brings the air flow over the reed. Just try it, you can bend at will just by tilting the harmonica down and up while continually drawing the air through, Easy innit

Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: February 23, 2013 09:00PM

^Holyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy crap, man =o That actually works =o

I've found that I can "bend at will" just by pursing my lips out further, but the method you mentioned takes even less effort. Nice, I'm gonna have to play around with that more, thanks!

Posted by: nicky2002 (75.41.70.---)
Date: February 23, 2013 09:55PM

Going back to he part when you said hole 3 has 3 bends does that mean hole 10 has 10 bends?smiling smiley

Date: February 24, 2013 10:13AM

Nick2002 bending is a means to move a note/tone you can move this note/tone on draw holes either by a half note/tone or a whole note/tone depending on the ammount of air pressure drawn.Each hole is capable of being moved in this way but only by a half or full note/tone for practability purposes. I don't believe there is much point but only to appear over clever in moving a note/tone to a shriek. Other factors ruling this capability is the quality of your instrument but in most the holes -2 upto -4 are the easiest to obtain this effect.
Overblows are a different matter, more difficult and at an early stage of playing I wouldn't be bothered with these if I were you.

Edited to remove the word raise and insert the word move, which I should used in the first place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 03:57PM by harmusman.

Posted by: 03lindsi (86.135.178.---)
Date: February 25, 2013 12:45AM

A 'shriek'? I have always preferred to call it an impression of a fire alarm tongue sticking out smiley

Date: February 25, 2013 10:53AM

Overblow, with the trouble that Nicky2002 has been giving this site lately, I don't think he was joking, and as I have come through from the diatonic stage to chromatic my mind is with the chrom and with this you have a valve to change the tone and that makes all notes sharp and in my ear that is a raise in tone and as one views the musical ladder going from low C you progress upwards by whole step/tone or 1/2 step/tone increments wherever they are.
I am sorry if I got it wrong but my conception is that one raises the tone, one does not need to bend with a chromatic, the valve does it for you. Yes I know you can also bend a chrom but that would be a performer inspired effect not a mechanical one and yes blues players use Chroms but have you noticed that some have the valve tapped up, I would assume that those players prefer the sound of a Chrom but don't wish to use the valve. Again sorry if I got it wrong maybe I should not contribute advice when I am not fully conversants with the ups and downs of the instrument.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.