Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Help, Strange Noises
Posted by: c_c220 (120.28.143.---)
Date: January 15, 2013 02:55PM

Hi there!

Just new here and can you help me please. I've got a Hohner Chrometta 10 and I've been playing this for days. The problem is this strange vibrating noise when I'm playing lower notes.

Upon dismantling for cleaning, I found out there where bits of paper glued above the reed. I'm guessing that the problem is that. I also compared the reeds of my old tremolo and there aren't any bits of paper.

The question is that, is it safe to remove those bits of paper?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help, Strange Noises
Posted by: WaltP (96.238.107.---)
Date: January 15, 2013 03:45PM

If you remove them it will make your chrometta next to unplayable. They stop the air from leaking out around the reeds. If one of them gets stuck from saliva the reed will squeal or not be playable. Vibration I can't figure out without hearing it. I have a chrometta 10 myself and the low notes are not easy to play as they are below middle C. Two things I can think of perhaps you are blowing or drawing too hard, or perhaps a bit of an adjacent hole is also sounding. Perhaps if you can try to analyze how it sounds, which holes, pucker or tongue-blocking, etc we can be of more help. Since you aren't afraid to take the covers off your harp and if the vibration is coming on a blow note you can check to see that the two parts of the wind-savers aren't stuck together. The ones that are two parts are brown and white so just lift the brown part with a pin or tiny screwdriver (carefully) to make sure it is free. Again, saliva is usually the culprit in these cases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 05:48PM by WaltP.

Posted by: c_c220 (120.28.143.---)
Date: January 16, 2013 04:26AM

Thanks man

Posted by: nicky2002 (75.41.69.---)
Date: February 19, 2013 03:36AM

To that's good advice you have him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.