Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Microwave
Posted by: 03lindsi (2.222.8.---)
Date: January 08, 2013 01:22PM

I was wondering......

I read that a great way to warm up ones harmonica (chromatic in particular) was to put it into the microwave for a few minutes (obviously with it on).

Does anyone do this??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave
Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.186.---)
Date: January 08, 2013 02:10PM

I would advise against it.

Here's why (taken from Wisegeekdotcom):
"When one puts metal in a microwave, and that metal is long and pointed, it essentially acts as an antenna to the microwave energy bouncing off of it. This can create arcs of energy, which can cause sparks that tend to scare people. The sparks can also arc to the edge of the microwave if they’re near enough, and may even cause an increase in temperature within the magnetron, reducing the life of the microwave. Because of the danger to the life of the machine, and because of the fear such arcing causes in consumers, most manufacturers recommend that people not use metal in one.

These small arcs actually are almost never cause for alarm. A microwave is closed while operating, and a small arc of this magnitude is little different from a static discharge when your finger touches a piece of metal if you’ve been walking across carpet. Only certain metal in a microwave, most notably thin metal stripping (emphasis added - think reeds) that is often used as decoration on some china or glass, is cause for alarm. This metal can actually heat up enough to catch fire, or at least damage the item it’s on (think valves, aka "Windsavers" ).

In fact, one of the biggest dangers people have when putting metal in a microwave is that they choose some sort of metal that has plastic attached (think of the body of the comb). Many metal pots and pans have plastic handles made of phenolic, which may explode if placed in the microwave."

Also check out info from Wikipedia under "Metal objects"....

So, if you want to warm up your harp, place the harp next to your body (doesn't have to be against the skin - can be in a pocket or between your arm and ribcage) and keep it there for a few minutes until it gets warm. OR, (and you gotta be careful with this) you can wrap it loosely in a heating pad set on LOW for a few minutes and that will also do the trick.

Many people advise against a heating pad because it can get too hot, but so far I've found that as long as you have it loosely wrapped (more like on the pad and the pad gently folded over the harp) and the pad is set on it's LOWEST SETTING, it works well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2013 02:30PM by EarthDogHarpin.

Posted by: 03lindsi (82.45.213.---)
Date: January 14, 2013 09:12PM

Thanks Deb smiling smiley
Looks like I won't be microwaving it. Camp fires work really well, but are not always so easy to casually come by :p

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.190.---)
Date: January 15, 2013 08:54PM

You're welcome, Simon. smiling smiley

Definitely enjoy those camp fires whenever you get a chance. smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.