Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Practising While Driving ???
Posted by: bublnsqueak (31.54.124.---)
Date: September 17, 2012 10:58AM

Hi,

I'm at an early stage in my Harp journey and have taken to practising simple riffs and working on my embroucher during my 30 minute drive to and from work.

Here in the UK it is illegal to drive whilst using a mobile phone. Can't find any harp specific legislation though.

I reckon its safe enough, as long as I practice simple stuff so I don't let my attention wander, and avoid intense chugging and get hypoxic (or hyperoxic).

Anyone got an opinion?

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Practising While Driving ???
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2012 11:24AM

I don't see any problem. But it may not be a good idea to practice hand effects or mic cupping! winking smiley

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.181.---)
Date: September 17, 2012 02:41PM

I would discourage it. With the caveat being unless the only time you're actually practicing is at a stop light or stop sign. Then that's okay.

Personally, I feel it's always best to have both hands on the steering wheel just in case anything unexpected happens. Just a few of the things that come to mind that can go wrong are 1) if you have a blow out of one of your tires, particularly a front tire, 2) a semi driving next to you has a tire blow out, 3) a critter or person runs out in front of you, or 4) you have a mechanical failure of your car such as a U-joint suddenly failing, etc.. (And these are just a few that come to mind right off...)

I've seen a particular harmonica player play while driving and steering with the knees, and quite frankly, I wouldn't want to be in the car with that person, because one can't grab the steering wheel with one's knees in an emergency (I'm talking about an able-bodied person, not someone with prosthetics).

Also, to really practice takes concentration. You have to concentrate on where you are on the harmonica, the song or scales that you're practicing, and the proper timing, just to name a few. Cell phones and driving don't mix well. Same goes with practicing a musical instrument and driving, for the same reasons.

But that's just my two cents, for what it's worth.

Date: September 17, 2012 09:25PM

"Also, to really practice takes concentration. You have to concentrate on where you are on the harmonica..."

You have a point there!!

Solution:
Phone with tabs on the seat beside you.
Metronome mounted on dash.
Play through an amp using ear phones.
Laptop on passenger floor showing inspiring video.

What could possibly go wrong?!
grinning smiley

Posted by: sledge (174.253.96.---)
Date: September 17, 2012 10:15PM

the whole world is racing toward nanny/weeniehood.

by all means,play! play! drive and play!

joe

Posted by: sledge (174.253.96.---)
Date: September 17, 2012 10:31PM

but be careful not to spill your beer...<grin>

joe

Posted by: gatman (98.160.231.---)
Date: September 17, 2012 11:23PM

Now THAT'S some good advice! I hate spilling my beer in the car!!

Posted by: bublnsqueak (81.155.13.---)
Date: September 18, 2012 05:49AM

I have a hands free kit for the mobile phone and an arrangements of tubes for the beer. I might install a small pump with a foot switch at some point.

Actually handling the harp is not such a difficulty, it actually has to touch your mouth. I am happy steering with my knees on motorways/freeways as I used to roll cigarettes while delivering, in another life when I was a smoking lorry driver.

I agree that the need to concentrate is the main danger. They tell me some of the new Volvos have automatic braking / steering....

But that auto stuff would spoil my blues: There is nothing like the emotional sound of a harp player who realises someone has pulled out in front of him while he is in the back seat setting up a Gindick video.

Paul

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: September 18, 2012 07:50AM

Deb does bring up some good points, but I must admit that I play quite often while driving, although I never try to learn a new song when driving, I only play ones that I know. I never drive with my knees, I always have one hand on the wheel, and the only time I use hand effects is while at a stop light or sitting in a traffic jam, besides it is very entertaining to watch the people that are looking at you strangely because they don't see your harp,all they see is your hands at your mouth moving and they look at you like you're really strange.

Posted by: torestre (84.215.192.---)
Date: September 18, 2012 06:54PM

I don't recommend playing while driving. But when your hooked... So I do it my self. I play and drive. But do as I tell you now, don't do what I dogrinning smiley

Date: September 18, 2012 08:28PM

I have my lovely wife do the driving so I am able to devote enough attention to my playing, while also not spilling my beer.

Posted by: sledge (174.225.6.---)
Date: September 19, 2012 11:49PM

now THAT is the ticket, gatman!

does your sweet wife have any single, likeminded sisters?

joe

Date: September 20, 2012 12:26AM

Sadly, she's the last of her kind.

Posted by: bublnsqueak (81.155.13.---)
Date: September 23, 2012 03:12PM

Just got hold of a 1984 copy of Gindick's Country & Blues Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless.

In a section entitled 'Practice, Practice, Practice,' on page 25 he says: "Anybody with a 45 minute commute is a potential harmonica virtuoso."

Mayhem!

Paul

Date: September 24, 2012 10:49AM

I guess I oughta find me a job that far away, then! smiling smiley

Posted by: LordRocksavage (67.61.240.---)
Date: July 13, 2014 05:31PM

Because the damage from an accident can be irrevocable I would not recommend playing while driving. Even on a long road trip. Just pull over every couple of hours, walk around and play. This will keep your trip fresh and your bones intact. If you're in city traffic.....KEEP YOUR MIND ON DRIVING 100%. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.