Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
different bends
Posted by: booky_blues (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 02:56AM

i have started to bend the first and second holes on my silver star harp which is in the key of c.

when i bend any of the other holes it doesnt work. do i need to have diiferent styles of bending for every hole or is it the note that i am trying to bend.

thanks everyone.

booky_blues

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: different bends
Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 05:15PM

Yes and No.

Yes, it takes a different amount of air/effort to bend each of the different holes.

No, the same principles apply no matter what hole you are bending.

Keep in mind, you can only bend draw 1, 2, 3, 4, & 6.
Blow bends are available on 7 through 10, but are far from easy.

Posted by: RollinRevue (65.54.154.---)
Date: February 08, 2006 02:33AM

pcquyiv is correct. except, DO NOT attempt to bend blow 7. The interval between blow 7 and draw 7 is only 1/2 step. As with draw 5 to blow 5 there is no place to bend to. By trying to bend either draw 5 or blow 7 is the fastest way that I know of to ruin the harmonica.

Posted by: booky_blues (---.hay.dialup.connect.net.au)
Date: February 08, 2006 05:05AM

thanks for the help. i can bend from 1-6. i dont understand how bending either draw 5 or blow 7 can wreck the harmonica. i have stoped doing this on draw 5 and i will not do it on blow 7. if you can tell me what it does to wreck the harp it will be much appretiated.

is it only thye c harp that i should not bend on draw 5 or blow 7 or is it all of the harps.

thanks for your help

Posted by: mnight_rdr (---.RES.cmu.edu)
Date: February 08, 2006 09:17PM

dont bend on 5 or 7 on all harps. what we're actually doing when we bend (and you may know this) is changing the direction the air hits the reed - causing it to vibrate at a different rate than it normally would. that puts a lot of stress on the reeds, esp when done on 5 and 7. after you've bent A LOT on a harmonica anywhere, it will eventually give out - normally only after a long time. but dont worry about it - when it does, just buy a knew one.

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 03:30PM

I've talked to alot of harp players who say they blow out the 5 reed the most, when learning to bend.... but that's all part of the learning process.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.