Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
how to keep harmonica soundig clean
Posted by: booky_blues (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 30, 2006 04:06AM

i have been playing the harmonica for about a mounth. my first harp was a hohner silver star. one of my biggest problens was the threats keep on cloging up. i have tried running it under water and this only temporarily fixes the problem. can anyone tell me how to keep the threats clean.

i have also purchased a hohner marine band and as it has a wooden base i cant run it under water. any advice will be much appretiated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to keep harmonica soundig clean
Posted by: IndianaZephyr (65.183.106.---)
Date: January 30, 2006 04:41AM

Beat the harmonica against your palm. Again, only temporary, but it's easier than running to the fossit. It knocks everything off of the threads, you actually want to do this regularly to keep water off of the threads, I don't think it's a very good idea to put it under water because it will rust. Not trying to make you feel bad. That's just what I've read.

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 04:57AM

It isn't good to wash a wood comb in that fashion because the wood will end up swelling up. In fact when you are done you should tap your harmonica on you palm to try and get out as much saliva out as possible to prevent the comb from swelling as well.

Posted by: booky_blues (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 02:53AM

thanks heaps. i think my old harp may have starded rusting. thanks for the advice

Date: January 31, 2006 04:51AM

no problem, it will give you more life on your harp.

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 04:54AM

More reasons to get Plastic Comb harmonicas.

Date: January 31, 2006 06:15AM

That is true, but some people think that after the wood comb has swelled a little the harmonica produces a better sound. So it really comes down to personal prefs.

Date: February 01, 2006 03:14AM

Swelling wood is a tricky thing. It tightens up the harp, this can improve the sound, but the swelling will change the way a harp feels in the mouth, ( it bites my lips). This is the main thing I don't like about a wooden combed harps harp.

I like my plastic combed Lee Oakars better than any wooden comb harp I owned before. They never bite my lips. They seem to last a LOT longer than my other harps did.

Posted by: mightyjimbo (---.lns3-c8.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 04, 2006 01:23AM

So how long does a cheap Harp last? My original £5 ($8) G has been sat on and blown now for 18 months, I actually reckon it sounds better now than it did when I bought it despite my best efforts to make it sound bad!

Date: February 04, 2006 03:09AM

Depends on the harp, and how you play it. A good harp will take more abuse. It is made of better stuff. It has more quality control in manufacture.

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 03:50AM

One thing you will notice with any harm, mightyjimbo, is that any harp will sound better after it's been played a while than straight out of the box. As far as how long a harp lasts, well, that depends on a number of things, just as chibluesteve said. I've had some that were cheap harps that have lasted me quite a while. I've had some not-so-cheap harps die on me within 3 months. Likewise I've had cheap harps that have died quickly and more expensive ones that have lasted longer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.