Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: to dream, perchance to even plan...
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 06:18PM

No lol I go there enough already.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mightyjimbo (---.lns3-c8.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 04, 2006 01:39AM

Nothing beats playing live! Go for it!

And if I'm ever it Hooter's or Starbucks or wherever and you stand up and play I'll join in!

Now, if we all grasp this concept, bear it in mind and drink a lot of coffee etc, one day the world will be ruled by harpists!

Simple!

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 07:03PM

I've come to learn that playing for the public on the streets is called, "busking."

Since I last posted to this thread, I've had opportunities to play for strangers in a live voice chat room. When I first did it, I totally choked. But, now that I've done it several times, it is getting easier to play for others.

So maybe I'll going buskin' at our local Starbucks this summer. (grin)))

~always Maria.

Date: February 04, 2006 07:19PM

I have always wanted to play for others, but I just don't get in enough practice to feel comfortable playing in front of others. I am just to busy to practice as much as I would like.

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas3.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 01:33AM

A few weeks ago at work, we had to set up for Indoor Track. I was assigned to help the crew. On one of our trips from the O'Dome to the Stadium, we rode on the trailer behind a tractor.

I whipped out my Delta Frost and started playing songs that I knew, then I continued with improvised riffs, just whatever came to mind.

Inside the stadium, as we rounded the concourse, I saw ahead that my boss, and his boss and others were ahead. I stopped and lowered my harp...

...Then I reconsidered...

I said to myself "If you're gonna go, you gotta go all out", and raised my beloved Delta Frost to my mouth and improvised some more.

As we passed them, I looked to see them staring in (I admit here that perhaps I only flatter myself) amazement.

What a rush...

If you get the chance, everybody, don't lose your nerve; steady yourself, say a prayer, and DO IT.

-rufus

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas3.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 01:42AM

Nick,

I only say this to encourage you:

I think I read somewhere on this site that it kinda exceeded your expectations as far as what you thought when you first started it. And yet, look at how big it has become.

I bet, no I believe, that you are easily good enough to play for others.

For me, the initial fear of "messing up" almost imobilized me. And I do mess up, but I have fun with it...

I am probably no where near the harp player that most of you are...

-rufus

Date: February 05, 2006 07:34AM

The only people I ever play around is my family and my brother and girlfriend don't like when I play.

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas1.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 02:04AM

My oldest son, who is 16, is REALLY GOOD on the guitar- acoustic and electric. He is largely self-taught. He cringes at my suggestions of my playing the harp along with him...

Nick, our family members are often our greatest critics...

However, my wife says that I have improved A LOT with the harmonica.

Nick, the people who like my "playing" the most are SOME, not all, of the guys at work... ...it is enough to propel me along..

-rufus

Posted by: IndianaZephyr (12.153.206.---)
Date: February 10, 2006 11:40PM

i never play for anyone. This is something that I do for myself. But then again, I remember playing at my grandparents house at Christmas, again though I was in the backroom, just playing to be playing and practicing. I got some compliments but I'm sure that they were just being nice. lol. And I've played in front of a couple of friends. But mainly I do this just for the joy of making music by means other than whisling. (Sometimes I wish I knowed stuff like how to spell.) So you guys just pull out your harmonica while enjoying your meal with your family at a restaurant just for kicks or something. Sounds great. I might give that a try one day just to get booed out of the restaurant. lol!

C yall later!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.