Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
to dream, perchance to even plan...
Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas1.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 05:43AM

Any of yous ever dream, actively think, or even plan to at a opportune (or not) moment to slip your harp out of your pocket at a restaurant, Starbucks, or wafflehouse, or somelplace and play some tune or tunes that you have practiced well...

Maybe it has already happened for someone.

I was at a fall festival with my wife and kids back in October, and as some of us were seated around the bonfire I leaned over and whispered to my wife: "Do you dare me to play a tune on my harp?"

But I lost my nerve.

Ah, well...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: to dream, perchance to even plan...
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 06:17AM

I was at Hooters when I just started learning how to play and someone did it. They were quite good.

Date: January 01, 2006 06:28AM

Do you remember what song(s) they played?

Date: January 01, 2006 06:49AM

No but it was something I knew like piano man.

Posted by: irishharpman (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: January 02, 2006 02:17PM

Hooters.....Mouth Organ.......priceless

Posted by: Paco (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 04:01PM

I've done it a few times myself. My family gets really embarassed when I take out my harmonica and start playing somethling smiling smiley. My favorite song to play is probably Heart of Gold, since I can play that, and people usually recognize it.

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 02, 2006 05:26PM

I wouldn't have the nerve to do it in public, like a restaurant... but I do look forward to playing my harmonica at a campsite, when we go camping next summer. (grin)))

gee, and here I thought I wasn't missin' a thing by NOT going to Hooters. roflamo

Date: January 02, 2006 05:38PM

Hooters by far has the best chicken wings. It has a bad connotation but it really isn't anything other a restaurant with woman wearing short shorts and tight tops. Once people go in they realize there isn't anything to it. In fact the one by me usually has a ton of little kids running around and there is a pair of nuns who come in there often and order nothing but wings.

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas3.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 05:58PM

Nick, since you mentioned "Piano Man" at hooters:

Before the UF-FSU football game, a frat across the street from the stadium had a live band, and they were playing "Piano Man". When the guy on acoustic guitar got to the harp solo, it looked like someone reached over and held a harp to his mouth so he could play the harmonica part. I was across the street and distant so I was not 100 percent sure. But he was blessed good. I wanted to go see for myself, but I work the home athletic events, and that was no-mans land for me since I was on the clock.

Date: January 02, 2006 06:01PM

I'll be back at work tomorrow, maybe I'll go sit high up in the stadium on my lunch break and practice with my Delta Frost.

Date: January 03, 2006 12:17AM

Hey Dan,

You say that your family gets really embarrassed, but what do other people do? Do people that you do not know ever come up and comment? What do those people say?

Posted by: Paco (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 12:31AM

As a matter of fact, yes. Once I was sitting in an Olive Garden, and I started playing "That's Amore" seeing as that's what was playing and our waitress said that it sounded pretty good. Keep in mind I don't blast out notes, but I play a little softer.

Date: January 03, 2006 04:42AM

When I play outside of the home the notes are barely audible lol

Date: January 03, 2006 10:59PM

I'm thinking about taking off my hat and setting it upside down in front of me on the table during lunch break at work and playing some songs. I'm nutty enough to play very badly on purpose for laughs.

I work in the maintenance dept. of the University Athletic Association, and we are always cracking jokes at, on, and towards each other.

Since it was found out that I play the harmonica, I have had some of the guys ask me to play something as we sit eating, playing cards and dominoes, etc.

I messed up a song once, and one of our more saracastic guys, "Cheese", asked in his trademarked tone, "What was thaaat?" I responded with: "It's a sad song about a little family that lives by a lake in Interlachen," which happens to be where he is from- the guys all, even him, laughed like crazy.

That to me seems to be the neatest thing about the harmonica; it is a very expressive instrument AND it is highly improvisational, you can make your own improvised expressions with it and still sound like you are doing something cool.

If anyone wants to play for someone, but you haven't because you are shy, or afraid or something- let me encourage you:

GO AHEAD AND TRY, you may make someone's day. At work, there are all kinds of frustrations, when we make each other laugh, or entertain, or encourage each other, it makes the dark spots diminish.

Dan, I think it is really cool that you played "That's Amore" in OLIVE GARDEN.

Man, what a commercial that would make!

Date: January 03, 2006 11:45PM

Maybe we should try and sell the idea to the olive garden to fund our new server lol

Date: January 03, 2006 11:48PM

Do we have a member with Marketing\Advertising skills?

Date: January 04, 2006 02:18AM

I am used to be director of marketing for a theater company and I have taken classes in it.

Date: January 04, 2006 02:24AM

You seem to be multi-talented/multi-skilled. Maybe Olive Garden would purchase ad space on your site...

Date: January 04, 2006 02:52AM

Thank you, I don't think we are big enough for them to spend the money lol

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 02:23PM

djlactose wrote:

> Thank you, I don't think we are big enough for them to spend
> the money lol
>

Haven't you ever heard of niche marketing???

Of course, I don't think they would pick up any new customers from here, so you're probably right.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.