Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Great birthday present
Posted by: WaltP (96.238.98.---)
Date: August 18, 2013 04:04PM

I just have to relate this little event that happened to me yesterday. I was metal detecting my neighbors yard when I found an old harmonica reed plate. Now, I know that might sound odd, but it is quite common in the hobby and might be seen as a sort of right of passage. Like finding Wheaties and indian head pennies. Anyway, I was explaining that to my neighbor and telling him I played which was why I knew what it was. Anyway, he said he tried but couldn't do it, but still had his harmonica. So I asked to see it, because he said he bought it 50 years ago, which was sort of when I started playing. He goes in the house and comes back with a vintage Hohner 270!!, virtually unplayed. I can tell you it was beautiful. The engraving seemed deeper and the covers were nickel plated. They also had much more arch, side-to-side than they do now. I haven't opened it up to see if it's a long slot reed plate. Needless to say it sounds great and the windsavers are still on. As a side note I found a watch fob from Teddy Roosevelt's 1904 presidency

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great birthday present
Posted by: harmusman (78.147.123.---)
Date: December 08, 2013 10:20PM

sounds like your MDeing is coming on a bundle Walt. Did you make your neighbour an offer for Harp?

Re: Great birthday present
Posted by: WaltP (96.238.109.---)
Date: December 09, 2013 04:08PM

It seems that every time I go out hunting I find some sort of little treasure, as for my neighbor, I offered but he refused. However, we did bake him a pie from an apple tree in our back yard.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.