Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What Key other than C
Posted by: Nots36 (---.tys.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 12, 2005 05:58AM

I started off with a Horner Blues Band 10 hole harmonica in the key of C and I really like it. However, When I am trying to play songs or riffs that use a lot of high holes (8,9,10) it doesn't seem to sound very good. I think I heard somewhere that for songs with high notes in them it is best to use a lower key such as G.

Is that true? and if so what kind would you recommend for around $10 or less? I would love to get a bluesband but it is only availible in C.

P.S. I considered getting a whole set, I saw a 7 harp set of Horner Piedmont Blues for $20 that got decent reviews, but I think I would rather save up and get a higher quailty set that will last longer and sound better.

Any help would be greatly appreicated, Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Key other than C
Posted by: [email protected] (68.144.64.---)
Date: December 12, 2005 06:43AM

Key of G is what you want for a low tone. I also like the mellow sound of a B

Not sure what kind of quality harp you're going to find for under $10. You could probably pick up a full set of 7 Kay "Chicago Blues" harps for that much but then that's the type of quality they are too.

You can't go wrong with a Special 20. Pay the extra price for a good harp.

Posted by: RollinRevue (---.nas5.highlands-ranch1.co.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 12, 2005 11:57AM

Rockinrandall:
You get what you pay for. If you pay under ten dollars for a harp, you get what you paid for, (a crap harp). All harps that cost a little more (15$ and up) are WORTH the extra money. As BlueWest said in his post try a special 20 (any key, if you want low, get "G". I would stick with "C" for comparison) you will be amazed at not only how much better it sounds but how much easier it is to play.

Keep Walin, Pat the Harprat

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 12, 2005 03:04PM

All right! I certainly understand and agree with the generalization that you get what you pay for, however, I also (more than most) understand living on a tight budget and that cheap is better than none.

Check out this link:
[www.harpdepot.com]

$40 + S&H gets you all 12 keys and a case. As you wear out the Blue Steel Harps, you can replace them with better quality harps (such as Special 20's or whatever else may float your boat.)

From personal experience, I will tell you that the Blue Steels are better than most of the economy Hohner models, though not quite as good as Special 20's & the like. The Blue Steels have metal covers, unlike the Piedmonts, which are completely plastic except for the reed plates.

If you just want to buy 1 harp, I would have to agree with everyone esle, though, and spend a little bit more and get something like a Special 20 or a Marine Band. I would also have to agree with getting the key of G. I would also suggest the key of A and/or Bb.

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 12, 2005 05:01PM

I have to agree with Frank here... mostly because I know Frank has owned & or tried most of the harmonicas he suggests. (wink, grin))) If you go to the Reviews part of this forum, you can get some great input on economy harps, as well as others to try.

I personally feel comfortable learning on the "mid-range" $15. to $25. harmonicas. My favortie being the Hohner Marine Bands & Blues Harps.

Whatever you do, stay away from the Kay Chicago Blues! My 1st harmonica was a Chicago Blues which lasted less than a week before it went bad, and I've read tons of reviews with the same results.

If you buy them separately, start with a key C, then a key G... then an A and Bb are nice additions. I really love my A harp. (smile)))

~always Maria.

Date: December 13, 2005 07:12PM

First of all, I would like to give a humble thank you for all of your very useful and expediant replies.

My goodness that is certainly a lot of info to digest and I considered it all. And right now I am waffling between getting a G &C key blue steel because they are inexpensive and have gotten good reviews here and at other sites, and a special 20 because they seem to be the best mid range brand, And if I like the special 20 I can save up for a whole set. Thanks again for all of yalls helpful info.

Date: December 13, 2005 07:21PM

Thanks Again, but I have one other question before I consider getting a Blue Steel. I read this review about the Horner Piedmont Blues harps at site called musicansfriend.com

Anyway it read,
"Potential hazard...

Features: 6
Quality: 6
Value: 9
Overall: 4

Regi from Newfoundland, Canada
Experience: I own it
Background: Active musician & harp customizer
Style of Music: Blues, jazz & soul

Nov 23, 2005 - First of all I am a HUGE Hohner fan, I've got the Big Rivers, the Marine bands, the Hot metals & my favorite the Special 20's. I'v also got some Lee Oskers & Suzuki's as well. And as most of us are probably too ashamed too admit a boxful of the old delta, kay & other assorted throw away harps. With this new Peidmont series, at first I was hesitant, thinking, gee case in all, souds too good to be true! Guess what it is. Unles you are a customizer & know how to remove the safety risks ---whatever you do, do not give these to children(or even play these yourself. It can be tempting to think that they are a toy & would be great for kids, but.... as a part time customizer & player, I never put a harp to my lips without first, sanitizing it ( you never know who has been handling it before you) and then taking it apart to get a look at the goods. While they are definitely playable & are fairly responsive they have two big problems that one can see immediatley. The first is that the reeds have been milled too close to the rivet end - ensuring a short life, most of the Japanese & Chinese harps do this in an effort to 'tune' them anyway...BUT... the burrs ( small metal shavings, that enevitably are created in the milling process have not been removed on these. I opened all 7 keys & found that every one had at least two & some had as many as eight burrs left on them waiting to be inhaled. I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure than inhaling sharp metal fragments into the lungs is a potential risk at any age. Once I removed them, evrything else that has been said about the series seems true, playable, good price, case & very cool to look at, but the great folks at Hohner, should start looking into the production practices of their Chinese connection before they have a big lawsuit on their hands. Stay safe folks!"

Is the part about the enhalable metal burrs true or just a bunch of crap, and if it is true would this be a problem on the Blue Steel.

Thanks, Aaron

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 08:53PM

That's the first I've ever heard of that, but I suppose if poor milling practices/quality inspection were used, there could be some debris from the milling process left in the harp that could be inhaled, but I'd be skeptical of that. I don't think that you would have that issue with the Blue Steels. I don't think they are made in China, but I may be wrong. I would say that the most comparable Hohner product would be the Hohner Hot Metal, which is, at least in my opinion, the best of the economy lines that Hohner produces.

Date: December 14, 2005 04:22PM

hi again Aaron (smile)))

I think you can't go wrong investing in the Hohner Special 20's. I've only heard good things about the S20 for beginners to learn on.

When you finally do get the Blue Steel, I hope you write us again and give us your own personal review on what you think. (wink, grin)))

~always Maria.

Date: December 25, 2005 09:37PM

Well I decided to get a Special 20 key of C so I can Compare it with my cheaper harmonica. I will let you know what I think when I get it.

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 26, 2005 06:04AM

I have it and love it.

Date: December 26, 2005 04:04PM

I've heard only good things about it

Date: December 26, 2005 06:56PM

I have a S20 with a blown out 2 hole, but I still play it because the rest of the keys are good, and it's still a great harmonica. (grin)))

Date: December 26, 2005 09:55PM

Thanks, and that does remind me of something I've heard before. Is it true that you can "blow out" a harmonica. I've read somewhere that when your first get it right out of the box you start with a slow soft song to break it in or else you might damage the reeds. Is that true?

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2005 10:54PM

You can damage the reeds by blowing too hard. Some people are just hard on harps. Some harps sound better after you have played them a while.

Date: December 27, 2005 04:53AM

thanks

Date: December 27, 2005 05:47AM

rockinrandallfan wrote:

> ...I've read somewhere that when your first get it right out of the
>box you start with a slow soft song to break it in or else you might >damage the reeds. Is that true?

This is something which quite a few people believe but it is not true. You do not have to break in a harmonica when you get it. Playing a harmonica hard will have the same effect on it if it is new or old. The noise produced is from the reeds vibrating which is the same action which slowly destroys them. So just playing your harmonica in any fashion does damage to it.

Date: December 27, 2005 04:16PM

oh ok, that seemed a little wierd to me that you had the break in metal.

Date: December 27, 2005 06:13PM

It sort of makes sense when you think about the metal being bend back and forth as you play and getting worn out. The believe the harmonica sounds better after it is been worn a little bit. Now if you always play hard you will see a huge difference of life on your reeds, but that damage will be the same no matter if you started playing softlyor if you started playing hard.

Date: December 28, 2005 04:25PM

Ok that makes sense.

By the way, on average how long does a quailty harp such as a Horner S20 last with a normal amount of play

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.