Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
new tab
Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas1.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 02:15AM

Hey everybody,

I submitted a tab for "Awesome God". If anyone is familiar with the song, please try it and let me know how it sounds. It was my first tabbing experience.

Thanks,

-rufus

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new tab
Date: December 07, 2005 03:32AM

Got a few more tabs submitted. Any feedback would be appreciated as I am a beginner with this and hope to contribute in a positive way to this really cool site.

-rufus

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 07, 2005 11:14PM

Amazing Grace is a little awkward for me, but it sounds pretty good.
Oh Lord, Youre Beautiful is pretty much dead on as far as I can tell.
More Precious Than Silver is good, but I think the first line also ends in 3 rather than -3. There are a few other minor differences in the way I recall the tune, but on the whole it's a great tab.
The Awsome God chorus sounds good, but I prefer it a little lower on the harp. I've just added my rendition if you want to take a look at it.

On the whole though, great work! Keep 'em comming!

Also, on a side note, I've added Daniel and Chariots of Fire; both of which I believe were on your request list.

Post Edited (12-07-05 19:36)

Date: December 08, 2005 02:33AM

Thank you, Frank. I was hoping for a more experienced harper to give me some constructive criticism and you fit the bill. I still consider myself a student of the harmonica, so there's plenty of room for improvement.

I appreciate the "Daniel" and "Chariots of Fire" tabs- "Chariots" is a long-time personal favorite song of mine, though years ago I never thought I might attempt to play it myself- let alone on a harp...

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 03:12AM

As with most things in life, the day you quit "being a student" is the day you give up on it. There's always another techinique to learn, an area to improve, & new & tweaked things to implement. Admittedly it has been said that the difference between someone who's been playing harmonica for 10 minutes and 10 years is merely the number of tunes they have memorized, but that's not entirely true. There is always room for improvement. I've been playing for more than 20 years (seriously for only about the last 1½-2 years). I have met and listend to those who have been playing longer and less than I that in both cases can more than surpass what I am capable of.

Just curiously, did you tab from sheet music, midi files (using a file reader to tell you the notes), or by ear?

Date: December 09, 2005 02:27AM

I modified an existing tab for Amazing Grace.

The other three I tabbed from sheet music with tab rulers. I may not be describing this correctly, but where there were 2 notes stacked, I compromised and tabbed 1 note each instance. So my tabbing technique may be flawed.

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 09, 2005 04:35AM

No that's pretty close to dead on. The only thing may be that you chose the "incorrect" note from some of the chords, but that's not that big of a deal. Things like that come with time and practice. As I said before, on the whole, you've done a great job with what you've done so far. Don't fear being "wrong," because you can't truly be "wrong," though there is always room for improvement.

Post Edited (12-09-05 12:17)

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 12:45AM

Not bad at all Rufus! (grin)))

I've had a crazy month with sickness, failin' computer, & unemployed husband so, I'm literally a month behind everybody else. hehehe But, I finally got to some of the music you summitted. Wow, you've already got 5 songs up!... not bad at all! lol

The nice thing is, we can go back and edit the songs we summit here, as things become more apparent... learnin' curve n'all. (shagrin))) I've probably gone back a zillion times to "fix" things I missed on songs I've already summitted. lol I'm fairly new at tabbing too, & I do it the same way you do... rather a hit or miss using tab rulers, sheet music, & playing it over & over again 'till it sounds right... Or I go crazy... whichever comes first! (chuckling))) I do I find some songs come easier to me than others.

I printed all your summitted tabs for my hymms collection. (smile))) I'm getting quite a selection of tabbed spiritual music. I'm gonna have to upgrade to a larger 3-ring binder to hold 'em all! I simply love hymms and think they're the best to practice on! Since you seem to be into that kind of music, you might enjoy Jack Earl's site -->

Jack's Harmonica Page: [www.volcano.net]

If you scroll down to the bottom of Mr. Earl's website, there's a place where you can sign up to receive a hymm song of the day sent to your personal email address... but if you sign up, be prepared to invest in a binder to store all the songs you'll get! lol

~always Maria.

Post Edited (12-14-05 20:52)

Date: December 16, 2005 12:49AM

Thanks Maria.

I have Jack's site on my favorites with this site as well. He has some great stuff. I also have Mark Purintun's "Harpin' and Whinin" on my favorites- great stuff there too.

I spend more time here, though- this is my favorite site.

-rufus

Date: December 16, 2005 05:27PM

yeah... I like the way Mark Purintun's does his midi's to match up with his tabbed music. It's a great way to learn. His lessons link is a good one to go over, for he has a wonderful grasp of crossharpin'.

I make no secret that Harptabs is my favorite site too. (wink, grin))) Although, I recently joined another harp website that is allowing me to explore recording my own harmonica music, & it's teaching me to be more 'free-wheelin'" with jammin' to the rock/blues. I'm not very good at free-style jammin' yet, but it's opening my mind to new & different way to approach harmonica playing. At heart, I'm still fairly "straight harp" material. lol

~always Maria.

Date: December 17, 2005 12:14AM

Actually the first song and the one I'm best at was from Mark Purintun's
site. "Dust in the Wind" was easier for me to practice and play with the words included.

There are more and varied tabs here though (if I said that properly).

I get the best of what works for my style of practice and play from wherever I can.

It would be great if groups of us were close enough geographically to practice and jam together. Then the best could teach those of us who are starting out firsthand and in person.

You are in Washington, Maria, so there would be a regional group there, and like for me in Florida, a regional group in my area, and for everyone else respectively. Cool idea, but perhaps not practical.

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 05:47AM

One of the harmonica websites acutally has meetings like you were discussing, I think it was harmonica club but I am not sure.

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 02:47PM

Harmonica Club has a free voice chat where you can play the harmonica if you've got a mic & the desire to do so. They have 2 regularly scheduled meetings every Thurs. The only "downside" is that only one person can play at a time over the connection. You can play along if you so choose, but you're the only one who will hear it. Then, if you want to play next so everyone else can hear you, then you can go ahead.

Date: December 17, 2005 03:23PM

Really? I did not know that.

I have a mic, and connection on my computer for it, but have been unable to get it to work.

I have heard that when you hear yourself actually playing the harp, that you sound differently to others than to yourself. So I thought to try to record and burn a cd with my computer, then play it back to see (hear, rather) how I actually sound. I thought that this could help me improve and check my progress.

I had also read in a book that if you played the harp in the shower (water off), that the acoustic effect would allow you to hear how others hear your harp playing.

I was trying to get the mic to work through windows media player. I imagine, Nick that you probably are expert at this, and Frank you may also know what I need to do to get it to work.

Date: December 17, 2005 04:19PM

I thought I just found the answer myself, I go to programs>accessories>entertainment>soundrecorder.

I have the mic connected, I mouse click on record, but when I playback, I get nothing.

help.

Date: December 17, 2005 04:46PM

hiya Rufus (smile)))

Plug your mic into your computer... go to your Windows: Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, you have a Sound Recorder built into your system. Alot of people don't know that... I didn't know that until recently. Then once you save your track, you can then play your recording back on your Windows Media Player. Someone told me about a free recorder called, Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) <--I prefer to use Aucacity because I can easily save/export into an mp3 format to share with others. Also, Aucacity comes with great 'bells & whistles' to enhance your tracks.

Yes, the "other harp site" I joined that is allowing me to explore sound & free wheelin' jammin' is Harmonica Club. (smile)) You don't have to be a member to use the chat room at Harmonica Club. If you're interested, they meet mostly on Thursdays & Fridays. You can check 'em out here:
[www.harmonicaclub.com] Unfortunately, I have never been able to access their chatroom, free or as a member, but I take full advantage of information I've gleaned to make my own CD. (wink, grin))) As a member, we do fun things, like have jammin' contests.

You can check me out here: [www.harmonicaclub.com] <--So far, I've only recorded 2 songs, #1 and #2. Song #20 is where I entered a jammin' contest... It's my very first jam! lol Of course I didn't win the contest, but the experience was priceless.

After the holiday crush, I'll be makin' more recordings. It's true, we sound different recorded than what we 'hear.' I rather like the idea of recording in the shower....hehehehe

Anyway, I hope I helped you understand sound recording better Rufus. A month ago, I would have never believed I'd be makin' my own sound clips! lol

~always Maria.

Date: December 17, 2005 07:00PM

Most likely your Mic is muted, this is a very common problem. If you double click on the sound icon by your clock it will pop up your volume controls. In there you should see a volume control and a mute checkbox, turn the volume up and un check mute if checked. If it isn't listed there you should also try click on the options menu then advanced. This will list more devices and the mic my be found in there. If that is set correctly and it still doesn't work check the plug is in the correct port in the back and I would try the mic some where else to confirm it is working properly. Good Luck

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas3.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 07:20PM

I finally got it! The mic jack on the front of my computer tower did not work. The jack on the back did. It's really cool!

Date: December 17, 2005 07:40PM

ok good

Date: December 18, 2005 05:55PM

right on Rufus! (doing happy dance))))

When you get some of your music recorded, I'd be interested in hearing ya. (wink, grin)))

~always Maria.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.