Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
harmonica reed plates for 10 hole diatonic harp
Posted by: spliffytoo (212.219.249.---)
Date: January 31, 2011 05:38PM

I'm looking to buy just the reed plates for harmonicas.
I've been around a few music shops in my area to no avail, I've searched on the internet with little luck either, the only one I've found that sells reed plates is the harmonica company and the reed plates are for all the big brands and are expensive; I may as well buy a brand new harmonica at a cheaper price than the reed plates from those big brands £17 for hohner reed plates and £15 for Suzuki. I'm looking for "generic" reed plates that you can put in any cheap harp; anyone know if such things are available.
I've never paid over £20 for a harmonica, my most expensive one is Hohner Big River harp bought for £18(I was feeling flush and thought I'd splash out on a big brand). all of my other harps cost less than a Tenner.
The cheap ones don't last very long really. with all my harps it seems to be the 6 and 7 reeds that go first, I got about half a dozen harps that are like this and although I can still play some tunes on them it is annoying that I can't play all the tunes I wan't to play.
Now as i said I usually buy the "cheap" harps mostly Swan harps, but I also have; Planetone*, Stagg and Barclays harps(all cheap at under £7).
and it it annoys me that I have to bin a whole harp because one reed has snapped or bent(careless cleaning by me)

* The Planetone harp was my favourite one and really good and it seems a good bargain as it retails at £26 in my local music store

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: harmonica reed plates for 10 hole diatonic harp
Posted by: gene (---.swbell.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 08:29PM

Not all brands sell reed plates. I guess the cheaper ones don't see any need to sell just the plates, 'cause the whole harp is cheap enough.

"...The cheap ones don't last very long really...."
So, are the more expensive ones REALLY more expensive in the long run?

Suzuki Promasters have a reputation for durability.

Posted by: railjumper (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 06, 2011 04:55AM

Try Googleing "Fish Lips". He sells reeds that fit harps like Merano & Johnson. Pretty good reeds for alot less than the big names. Supposedly they are China made Hohner reeds. I've even put them into a Special 20.

Posted by: spliffytoo (212.183.140.---)
Date: February 09, 2011 08:31PM

Thanks for your imput guys but I've decided to just buy new harps instead it's a lot easier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.