Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
I think my harmonica is busted, help
Posted by: bayan57 (---.cablenet)
Date: May 14, 2005 12:37AM

Hi I've been playing my Hohner SilverStar C Harp for a year now, but a couple of days ago i noticed how the "7" and "-7" sounded awful, as if i was playing wrong. it seems to be out of tune, i don't know

So i prepared a little mp3 just in case you might now what's wrong with it.

[nach.co.nr] <-- please download the mp3 on here

I've already opened the harmonica, cleaned it and everything. no luck though

Thanks

Nach

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I think my harmonica is busted, help
Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 16, 2005 01:46PM

I don't know exactly what's wrong with it, but my guess would be that somehow either the draw reed on the #7 hole has broken, or the blow reed on the #7 hole has gone flat. In either case, you have two choices: replace the harp or, if possible, buy new reed plates. I'm not familiar with that model, so I don't know if it's one of the MS series or not. Off hand, I'd say probably not, in which case you're stuck with buying a new harmonica. If you want to stick with Hohner, I'd recommend either the Special 20 or the Big River if you want a plastic comb. If you want a wooden comb, either the Marine Band or the Blues Harp are quite adequate. If you're concerned about price, none of these should be more than $20. If that's still too much, then I'd suggest either the American Ace or Blues Band model. Both of these should be in the neighborhood of $5. If you want a key other than C, but don't want to pay a fortune, you can get the Hot Metal model.

Seuk wrote:

> Hi I've been playing my Hohner SilverStar C Harp for a year
> now, but a couple of days ago i noticed how the "7" and "-7"
> sounded awful, as if i was playing wrong. it seems to be out of
> tune, i don't know
>
> So i prepared a little mp3 just in case you might now what's
> wrong with it.
>
> [nach.co.nr] <-- please download the mp3 on
> here
>
>
> I've already opened the harmonica, cleaned it and everything.
> no luck though
>
>
> Thanks
>
> Nach

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 16, 2005 05:58PM

I would have to agree your reed most likely is messed up in some way. It may not appear broken but the read vibrates when air passes by and if it has been stressed too much it will not vibrate correctly and produce an off sound.

Date: May 17, 2005 03:21PM

Hi thanks for responding. I'm definetly going to buy a new harp, but I'm not sure what the differences between wooden plastic and metal reeds. I just want a harp that sounds bluesy. I can afford like 35 dollars max, and it would have to be a common harp, since I haven't been able to find a big variety here in Peru.

Thanks

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 05:00PM

The reeds in all real (not toy) harmonicas are metal of some kind, usually brass. The comb is what would be made of different substances. Wooden combs are said to have the best blues sound, but have a problem with swelling. Plastic combs don't have quite as rich of a sound, but you don't have the problem with swelling and therefore, they stay comfortable to play. I once heard someone compare playing a wooden comb harmonica to playing a dried corn cob, and that's not too far from the truth. Either plastic or wooden comb harmonicas should be available in your price range, but metal combs start out at over $65.00. Any harmonica can have a decent "bluesey" sound, the key is in how it's played. IMO, it's easier to attain with lower keys (like G or A) than it is with the higher keys like C or F.

Seuk wrote:

> Hi thanks for responding. I'm definetly going to buy a new
> harp, but I'm not sure what the differences between wooden
> plastic and metal reeds. I just want a harp that sounds bluesy.
> I can afford like 35 dollars max, and it would have to be a
> common harp, since I haven't been able to find a big variety
> here in Peru.
>
> Thanks

Post Edited (05-17-05 16:24)

Date: May 18, 2005 05:44PM

Too bad i didn't read this before buying my new harp, but i got a Suzuki Overdrive in C. Has a great sound to it

Posted by: elwood_blues (---.dsl.skt2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 12:17AM

I had the same problum but i just stuck a small screw driver into it and poked it a little and it sounded great.to bad u probly alredy got a new 1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.