Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Just wondering
Posted by: fates_ace (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 02:03AM

Hi everyone just started playing the harmonica and have really tried to throw myself into it

Got a special 20 key of c diatonic as well as a hohner set (wanted to play some tom petty and needed the G)

but what I was wondering is when everyone was starting did doing draw notes seem weird? it doesn't sound right I have gotten ok at blowing single notes but drawing seems like I do several holes and/or just doesn't sound good I just want to keep blowing notes and not wanting to draw.

Thanks for any advice and yes I will keep on practice practice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just wondering
Posted by: paulbunyn (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 03:15AM

Take some electrical tape and cut some squares approx. 1/8" square and place them under the even numbered holes. This will help you center up on the holes. If you are wanting an even # the tape will be felt in the center of your bottom lip. If you want an odd # the tape will be felt on the left and right sides of the bottom lip equal distance from center. This will help you line up and zero in on location of the holes.
As far as closing your lips down enough to just hit one hole, open your mouth wide, put the harp deep in your mouth and close down like your going to take a bite out of the middle of it. Now keep your lips where they are and move harp out of mouth just enough to close teeth in front. Now blow into harp, you should b playing 3 or 4 holes at the same time. Now slowly roll the back of the harp (the side not in your mouth) upwards as the harp pulls out of your mouth you will play fewer holes. continue rolling harp out till you are only hitting one hole.

Post Edited (2011-03-28 23:23:30)

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 05:40AM

Try this site for instruction.

And yes, the bends take practice and proper technique. Try the 4 draw. As you draw, slowly articulate the word "you." At some point the note will bend. Remember the position of your jaw and tongue when it does. The lower the hole, the more you will have to drop your jaw. (Your teeth never come together.)

Posted by: paulbunyn (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 07:39PM

Yes! Thank you for making that clear. The teeth do not come together but they do move to the front of the harp, not over and under as if you were going to bite it.
Gene, I would also like to say thanks for your forum thread about Your Inner Critic. That helped me tremendously With my harp playing, I wish I had read that when I was in my teens!

Posted by: fates_ace (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 31, 2011 04:11AM

thanks for all the advice Its amazing how fun this instrument truly is
When I first got into it people thought "oh kids toy" and now that they can see how powerful and fun a harmonica can be all my guitarist friends are a little envious (I think its cause they come a dime a dozen)

but it still fun going to the local mexican restaurant and jamming out a random tune.

Thanks again and just a wonderful site

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 31, 2011 07:23PM

Yes, that whole article is worth printing and putting it somewhere that you'd keep coming across it to read from time to time.

Here's a link to it.

Post Edited (2011-03-31 15:33:37)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.