Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
I need help on fast sequnces
Posted by: Texas (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 05:08AM

Hey, I've been playing for about a year now and
I've got some experience on some songs, but when it comes to a change in tempo
for a short/long period, I just can't seem to do that if I attempt to I become all tangled in blow/draw notes.
What I'm really asking for is what are some techniques/practices that I could do to get used to changing speeds in songs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need help on fast sequnces
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 06:48AM

Play those passages slowly over and over. As it becomes easier, speed up a little. You'll be developing "muscle memory." If you do it this way, those passages will be more playable to you a lot sooner than you think.

Here are some exercises:
http://www.harptabs.com/song.php?ID=2527

Post Edited (2010-07-26 02:59:23)

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 09:07PM

I find that tongue blocking and switching allow very fast jumps over many different intervals. And flipping your tongue from one side to the other also allows for a bit of "punch" or attack at the beginning of the note.

Posted by: MRR0B0T0XD (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 02, 2010 04:13PM

I think Gene's idea is the best idea.

Posted by: God (---.80-203-226.nextgentel.com)
Date: August 20, 2010 08:31PM

You could also do the universal solution. Play scales up and down while you tap a rythm with your foot. Then you practice changing playing speed in sync with the change of the rythm.

When you get comfortable with that, you can start to drop out some notes of the scale, or play some more than once in a row, and before you know what you're playing original melodies directly from your own soul! But, most important, you get an important basic control of the instrument which can be adapted to any song consisting of the notes from the scales you practiced.

Post Edited (2010-08-20 16:31:45)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.