Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Want to start a friend or family member without spending too much?
Posted by: londoncoline (---.ipslin.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 08:11AM

I just recently got into playing the harmonica. I had taken up the guitar in August of '05 and was learning on a friends. A few problems with the guitar were one, to buy my own it was going to set me back a few hundred dollars, secondly, I could only learn when my buddy was around, and finally, the guitar isn't very portable.

Wanting to be able to play something I was cleaning up one night as I was closing the store (I work at Best Buy) and I noticed a book, CD, and diatonic harmonica kit by First Act. I had never tried the harmonica and thought, "Hey, here is something I can teach myself anywhere I go, at anytime." I bought it for something near $10 bucks. The book and instructional CD were very helpful in getting started. At the time I thought the harmonica was great (this was before I bought my Hohner Special 20). But really, the harmonica that they supply isn't bad for a beginner. It is something to learn on. If I hadn't seen the kit in the store, I probably never would have thought about trying the harmonica, and definitely would have never spent money on a few nice harmonicas.

Definitely if you have friends or family that are curious about starting with the harmonica but you don't have time to teach them or don't want to buy a nicer harmonica until you're sure they want to continue to learn, the First Act kit is the way to go.

Here is a link to the Best Buy page where they sell it:
[www.bestbuy.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Want to start a friend or family member without spending too much?
Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 30, 2005 05:38AM

Nice to know Jordan. But, an even cheaper way would be to steer a family/friend towards an economy harmonica (listed in the Reviews section of this forum), and then give 'em this website... and all the harmonica/music websites listed in my favorite places. (giggle)))

Not knockin' harmonica books or kits... I understand there are some fairly decent harp tutorial book/CD packs out there, but I haven't invested into too much of that myself. My initial thought, when starting, was to see if I'd like it & if I did, I'd invest more, which I'm doing more & more all the time... mostly on more harmonicas! lol

~always Maria.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.