Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
help holes
Posted by: bertrand (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 10:03AM

ok I have always just been really interested in learning how to play the harmonica. I have an old standard hohner its kinda beet up but hey its like 18 years old. Anyway The first song I learned how to play was when johnny comes marching home again, but i still have trouble blowing the notes I seem to catch two or completely miss the whole that im aming for. And for some reason I don't seem to be able to be as fast as the song when im playing like im playing slower then i feal like i shoudl be any help would be greatly appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help holes
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 05:57PM

You should probally start with a slow paced song and take your time playing at a speed where you get every note correct. It should also be a song you know well so that you can hear when it doesn't sound right. Just keep playing that song over and over again till you can play faster and faster. I did that with Taps and not only do I have it memorized now but I can play other songs without having to worry about blowing in the wrong hole.

Now since you said your harp is beat up, I am thinking that there could be a crack some where in your comb which is causing an air leak into another chamber. I would say that is highly unlikely but if you notice that it seems to happen only on certain notes then maybe that is what is happening.

Posted by: bertrand (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 11:08PM

no its just got a dent in it and thats it other then that its in good condition,

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 05:58PM

That dent depending on where it is can change the air flow of the entire harmonica. If the dent is close enough to a reed when you blow into the whole the air can blow up the hole and actually vibrate the reed in the opposite direction. Or when you vibrate the reed could be hitting the dent. I would try to either get replacment plates or to try the plates of another harmonica just to test it out.

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 30, 2005 05:21AM

When I got my 1st harmonica, I carried it everywhere with me and just blew & drew (if drew is a word...hehehe) up and down the scale until I could hit the hole I was going for. I did this for a month... and it help me start to get consistant. I still miss, but not soo often, unless I'm tired. Gaining speed is just something you'll get with time & more experience. Just try to relax & enjoy the process, and remember, "practice does make perfect!" (grin)))

~always Maria.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.