Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
New in Iraq
Posted by: dresse (213.255.229.---)
Date: February 09, 2010 04:26AM

I've been messing around with the harp for a few months now nothign really serious but now that i have a whole lot of time on my hands i'm ready to get serious about this. I've been browsing all the tabs i've got a few childrens songs pickd out since some people say start out with these actually a great idea me thinks lol but the question i have is this.

5 -5 6 6 -5 -5
We all have sorrow

like this right here on the 6 6 then -5 -5 part to i blow twice on the 6 and draw twice on the -5 or just carry it? if you understand what i mean by carrying it. any help would be awesome.

Thank you for you time.
Cory

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New in Iraq
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 09, 2010 07:23AM

Play them twice. The tabs don't tell you anything about how long the notes are or where the rests are, though most tabbers often start a new row after a rest when it's practical to do so. You need to know what the song sounds like before you play the tab. The tab just tells you what holes to blow or draw in order to get that melody.

Posted by: paulbunyn (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 04, 2010 07:31PM

Sometimes the tabs arn't quite right, maybe the person who tabed hit the wrong key while typing.
When I get stuck like that I quit looking at the tabs and just play it and try to pick it out, that is if I know the tune already.
I run into this problem all the time. Try 5-56hold 5-5.
If the tabs don't make sense trust your ear.

Posted by: harmusman (---.hari.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: September 18, 2010 11:18AM

Yes tab numbers can be out of sync with Lyrics so when ever you pick up on a song tab you wish to play. even one you do not know, if you dial in the title on "you tube" most usually you can get that tune being played and your ear can sort out the tab numberings. A little knowledge of music notation, ie, rests, carry over notes and slurs, can help in playing the numbers game. Some tabbers try to put in rests and extended notes with there own symbols, but your ear can sort it too.
Single note playing would be as 4 4 -4 4 -5 5 ( and I wish you one when) notes played together are usually tabbed as when bracketed (45) blow or (-4 -5) draw. Bending can be ie. " full bend or, ' meaning a half bend written after the number as, 4 4 -4" 4 -5" 5 there you have the start of happy birthday blues tongue sticking out smiley Doh, that's a contradiction of terms, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2012 06:56AM by harmusman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.