Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
just starting out
Posted by: hawkeye (---.192.55.67.dyn.southslope.net)
Date: December 11, 2009 07:36PM

hi all,im a newbie to the harmonica. i purchased a marine band harp along with a self taught guide named "fast track" it came with a cd to play along with and so far i feel im learning very fast.as i begin to get more confident and try new songs. the problem i have is most of the sites only show tabs and not the notes.so as i try to learn a song its very "choppy".i usauly stat out plaing quarter notes,then try to tweek it somehow. if any one here has remidy i would love to here as i need all the help i can get!.
i realy enjoy this site,i get great pointers here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: just starting out
Posted by: WaltP (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 11, 2009 08:03PM

Well let's see, how does one learn songs without sheet music. First choice, obtain the sheet music. Either buy it or get some sort of midi reader to generate it for you. Libraries often have many books of songs which you can copy. Many of the tabbed songs on this site can be heard as a midi or on youtube or other sites. Practice, practice, practice. The "choppy will go away ever so slowly as you work at it. Work on your general approach to the song. I used to just play one song after another page after page. Trying to make the song sound like I remembered it, some came easy, some took years and years. Motown for me is very hard to make work. Eventually I reached a point in which I let the song sing itself. That may not make much sense and I'd have to fill a whole page to try to explain what I mean.
One of my best inspirations came from the movie "Walk The Line". I'm probably not recalling it accurately but the point was; play a song like it was the last song to ever be played, put your heart into it, and attack every note on some level. I'm done.
Walt

Re: just starting out
Posted by: hawkeye (---.192.55.67.dyn.southslope.net)
Date: December 11, 2009 10:10PM

than you walt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.