Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
a tip for stiff lower keys
Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: August 26, 2005 11:06PM

Hi gang (smile))))

Ya know how I've complained about the stiffer lower keys... They can be soo hard to draw on, for a newbie like me. Well, someone gave me a suggestion that really works!

Try breathing in the nose while drawing on a lower key. I have found that I'll get a note, rather than the awlful sounds I was gathering. lol

~always Maria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a tip for stiff lower keys
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 27, 2005 03:36AM

Good tip, notes are always better then awful sounds smiling smiley

Date: September 01, 2005 03:24PM

hiya (smile)))

I just picked up a 1896 Marine Band in key of 'A' yesterday... gotta love those Marine Bands! (grin)))

Anyway, to further the above tip, I'm discovering that if I make sure the harmonica is tilted, up, at about a 45 degree angle, the lower key draws come out more natural & true to tone.

Try it, you'll like it! lol

~always Maria.

Date: September 04, 2005 05:07PM

Hi again (grin)))

I was on another website & someone recommended a website with a few playing tips on common difficulties for the beginner: [www.leeoskar.com]

One thing I didn't realize until recently is that the 2 & 3 reeds, especially the 2 draw, tend to bend too easily which is the cause for alot of problems for beginners.

The above website even mentions partly drawing air through the nose to help relax air-pressure on the reeds & tilting the back of the harmonica upward which are a couple of tricks I figured out on my own this week! lol

...gotta love it! (wink, grin))))

~always Maria.

Posted by: MadHatterIX (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 06, 2006 08:14PM

It's not the lower keys that i have a problem with, it's the upper ones. I can get in all sorts of regular and bent pitches from 6 on down (with the exception of 5, which iv'e heard you shouldn't bend on). Everything up from there is just noise. nine barely works at all, and 10 makes no noise what so ever.

Any advice?

Posted by: [email protected] (---.com)
Date: August 07, 2006 05:20AM

Breathing. The upper and lower notes require a different type of air pressure over them. Blowing and sucking doesn't produce the correct results. The trick with breathing through your nose allows the air to come from your diaphram. If you inhale and exhale through the harp instead of forcing the air through it, the notes will be easier to play. Just takes lots of practice.

A 3 blow is the same note as a 2 draw. If you can easily alternate back and forth between the two holes, you're mastering the technique of how to breath.

Posted by: danny191 (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 18, 2006 01:31AM

hi zephyrazure

thanks for this realy helpful tip, i all ready hear a difference in my lower notes, as well as my higher notes that has been screeking when i play them, once again thanks for the tip

Posted by: ranik (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2006 07:28PM

Sweet, thanks! I was getting kind of frustrated with the lower notes, now I can play them peacefully and they won't be mistaken for the cat being sick!

Posted by: Mitchell_Harmonica (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 01, 2007 09:22PM

I found on Draw 2 "inflating" my mouth so there is a big air volume in my mouth makes the two sound a bit better and for high notes breath from the diaphram, try sucking and blowing then just open your mouth and use your stomach, you'll hear the difference.

Mitch

Posted by: wmd007 (---.filter.imagine.ie)
Date: May 18, 2008 07:44PM

Hi. I've had the same problem. With my first harp it was only the 2 draw. But since then have got a new harp (Lee Oskar) and can't play the 2 or the 3 draw properly. And now when I play the old harp every draw suddenly plays correctly. Strange! Will try and put your tips into practice with the lee oskar. Thanks for providing them.

Posted by: BoomerB04 (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2008 07:35PM

Lee oskars have reeds that arnt quite as stiff as Honers, and are easier to learn on.

The big thing on those low draws is to watch your toungue! make sure its flat in your mouth, and not disrupting the flow of air

Posted by: STACEYANDDEE (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 26, 2008 01:50PM

ON A DIATONIC 7 THROUGH TEN CAN ONLY BE BENT BY BLOWING NOT DRAWING. AT LEAST THAT'S THE WAY I UNDERSTAND IT.

STACEY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.