Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Positions- There's more than 2nd
Posted by: railjumper (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 02, 2008 07:11AM

For those of you who have been playin' awhile and have gotten that 2nd position (cross-harp) down pretty good might want to look into other positions.
3rd position is very helpful for playing minor keys. It can also be used to bring a more blusey sound to a song played in a major key. It is mostly draw notes and plays somewhat like 2nd position, only a little farther up the harp. It doesn't always work with every song, but when it does you can really wail on it.
1st position is good to know also. For me it helps when i'm playing along at a jam to a song I don't know. Pretty much blow notes and you can go along with the song and be more likely NOT to hit a wrong note. Both the 1st & 3rd positions seem alot easier to move to the high end of the harp and back without missing a beat. At least it works real good for me.
I've been playing about 6 years and picked up on 3rd pos. about a 3 years ago, but didn't really work on it till about a 1 1/2 ago when I needed to play more minors. I just recently started playing 1st pos. and wished I would have learned sooner.
Now when I set up for a song I may have 2-3 harps ready to go and may use all 3 on one song. It makes for some interesting playing.
I'm still working on it though. Even after 6 years I still have a ways to go, but I'm havin' a hell of a good time getting there!!!!

"Support Live Music"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Positions- There's more than 2nd
Posted by: macg1 (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: September 19, 2008 04:50AM

That's right about the minor positions. I like using the root on the fourth
draw channel for minor ley songs, such as plaing Am on the G-Harp.

Another good cross-position is using the 5th draw channel as the root, or
the 5th blow channel as the root for minor keys.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.