Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Single note
Posted by: primetime34 (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: June 14, 2008 04:03PM

I am new to playing the harmonica. I've practiced for around 4-5 hours or so on my Hohner Special 20 in the key of C. Here's my question:
I am trying to play a single note via puckering. I am having very little success (some but very little). Any suggestions on how to do this better? Also, how long should I expect to practice (approximately) before I can play single notes with relative ease? Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single note
Posted by: gouletsm (---.as43234.net)
Date: June 14, 2008 05:13PM

Put your lips in the whistling position, quite deep in the mouth but relax a bit, dont blow hard from the mouth, breathe... more from the stomach, you should be able to get single notes within an hour or so. If you are having trouble, try tongue blocking, there is lots of help in previous forum posts on this subject, if you go back to the older posts. I prefer tongue blocking, but you should try both.

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 15, 2008 06:25AM

Pagan's right, but let me try to explain the same thing he said another way:

Look in the mirror. Blow some imaginary eraser particles off of an imaginary sheet of paper. See that little hole at the FRONT of your lips? That AIN'T where you play the harmonica from.

Look in a mirror again and suck an imaginary malt through an imaginary straw. See that little hole at the BACK of your lips? THAT"S where you play the harmonica from.

When playing single notes, keep that hole little, but your lips should still feel soft and relaxed.

And listen to Pagan: Don't blow and suck through the harp...It's more like breathing through it.

Oh, yeah: And drop your jaw a little.

Post Edited (2008-06-15 02:27:33)

Posted by: BoomerB04 (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2008 07:31PM

The hardest part of learning to play harmonica for me was getting that first single note! it can be frustrating as hell, but like riding a bike it's simple after the first time you get it.
little hint, it helps to tilt the harmonica slightly up. not only will this make single notes easier, but it will lengthen the life of your harmonica, as its less harsh on the reeds.

Posted by: seanconn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 03, 2008 12:53AM

thank you very much this helped me get it on the first try after i've been trying all day other methods

Posted by: SlowHarp (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 01:09PM

right, my harmonica booklet ("Bending the Blues"winking smiley says every single note method except the pucker teqnique sucks. it describes the few others, but at the top it says in bold "if you do NOT know what THESE methods are, DONT READ IT" tongue sticking out smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.