Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How to Read Tabs
Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2007 02:51AM

The easiest tab system works like this.

Diatonic

2 = blow the 2 hole
-2 = draw the 2 hole
-2' = draw the 2 hole with a half bend
-2" = draw the 2 hole with a full bend

Chromatic

2 = blow the 2 hole
-2 = draw the 2 hole
<2 = blow the 2 hole with the button in
<-2 = draw the 2 hole with the button in

This is the system I use. It is easier to use than other systems that use more charactors

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pauldapigeon (---.adsl-pool.dravanet.hu)
Date: June 13, 2010 12:36PM

Hey!

I'm pretty new at playing the harp, and i wanted to learn singing in the rain, but the first note or chord i'm not sure what it is got me confused. can you guys help me figure this out?

79 8 -8 7 -6
Singing in the rain,

Is it possible that the 79 is a chord 7 through 9, or just 7 and 9, or what?

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 13, 2010 03:04PM

I would treat it as a grace note, it kind of works if you just touch it and then tongue-switch to the 9. Or get to the 9 as fast as possible however you can. The trick is to just barely sound the 7 before the beat. At least that's my take on it.

Posted by: Werkis2 (95.68.90.---)
Date: June 13, 2010 07:25PM

well i to put in one of my tabs 6w - W for whistle and T for throat vibrato

Posted by: railjumper (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 05:46AM

I like the -4' for half bend and -4" for full bend. I also like the tab on top. That's my vote.

Posted by: Werkis2 (95.68.85.---)
Date: July 30, 2010 08:32AM

Ya but there is a one old tabbing system 4> for blow and 4 for draw yak i hate that , but i sometimes use harpy to convert for multiple harmonicas and its double work sad smiley because of it also # is over blow there

i prefer
-4 +4 +4o and ' " "' and thoes for bends also sometimes 4 blow (4) draw

Posted by: lolownia (---.dynamic.chello.pl)
Date: May 15, 2011 12:05PM

Hi,
how to read horizontal bars, i.e. |-3| as here: [www.harptabs.com]
?

Posted by: 03lindsi (---.bb.netvision.net.il)
Date: May 15, 2011 04:17PM

The standard that I have seen is the system that chibluesteve said earlier. Which also has my vote.

Generally speaking, if there is derivation from the norm, the author puts a key at the top explaining what characters mean if they differ.

I personally think that letters make this a bit confusing, since they make the tabs busier and distracting, whereas the ~ or ' '' signs are more subtle.

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 15, 2011 09:03PM

Yeah. What Lindsi said.

Posted by: beads (---.dsl.covlil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 16, 2011 01:53AM

I play mostly in second and third position which make use of more draw notes than blow notes so I us + for blow and nothing for draw. That way I don't have to type as much and the tab is less busy. First position players might want to use - and have + as the default. I use b for draw bend because is looks like the symbol in standard music notation for flat.

Posted by: HarmonicaNoob (99.46.141.---)
Date: March 20, 2012 03:42AM

Ok, I'm pretty new to playing the harmonica. At least, playing it right, by notes instead of just playing random notes like I did back in 2nd grade.

So I understand the idea of playing a draw when it says a negative number and blowing on a positive one, but I don't understand what bends are. Is it when you put a few notes together?

Also, on Take The "A" Train, I saw:
-3 -3 -3* -4 6 3 -2* -2 4* 4 2

are the asterisks another way to notate a bend?

Thank you for your help smiling smiley

Posted by: 03lindsi (80.193.42.---)
Date: March 21, 2012 12:48AM

The asterisks would denote the slide in on a chromatic harmonica

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2012 05:55AM

You must've seen those asterisks in tab for chromatic harmonica. They mean "push the button."

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: harmusman (82.44.235.---)
Date: November 19, 2012 11:05AM

I have to say that DJ Nick is correct, keep it simple and easy to read, so just one symbol along with the numbers should suffice as here -4 telling beginners this means a draw note/suck, anything else you blow/breathe through it.

Same applies to Chomatic with the addition of < which is descriptive just by it appearance but should be printed as -4< symbols on either side of note number enables the instruction to be more entered in the correct relation to the lyrics for as tabb players it is the melody of the lyric that we rely on. Give someone a tabb without lyrics and don't tell them the title of song or even better a piece that has never been played before and they would be lost.

After all that I maybe accused of turning our art form into a science, as of late I have been introducing some note length symbols in order to help with the playing, musicians call it a sight read when first presented with a new piece they don't know the piece, but can get through it as their eye/brain has been tutoured in the rudiments of music. Each note symbol having it's time length in its printed design.
So to get this across I have devised eg for notes requiring

1(beat) length .
requiring more length .... thats four (beat)/length
1/2 length '
1/4 length "
if combination of length per note is 1 and 1/2 it would appear as ."

so I am covering value notes of Whole . threequarter '" half ' quarter "
I have not gone as far as eigths and sixteenths.

Hope I have not confused between note length and time beat but I do believe this to be useful when one is presented with an unknown tabb to be played on harmonica
yours Harmusman

I didn't realise there were two pages on this so much of what I say has been covered before, anyway I will leave it on as my contribution H

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2012 02:49PM by harmusman.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.