Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
A few neat scales
Posted by: SetantaNYC (---.abl.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 05:24AM

In this lesson, I'm just going to lay down a couple cool scales that you can play around with as you like.

First off, many people here know about the cross harp (2nd position) blues scale, -2 -3' 4 -4' -4 -5 6, but I found that as I learned bending, draws on holes 2 and three are a little hard to bend accurately, as there are several degrees of bends on those holes. It is however, possible to play a blues scale in third position, or 'double-crossed,' which only requires you to bend the much easier 6th hole draw.

The double-crossed blues scale goes like this:
-4 -5 6 -6' -6 7 -8
I found it much easier to play than the cross harp version. If you don't know what a blues scale is, play this one and you will. If you want to write bluesy melodies then just try combinations of these notes, as well as a some others if they sound good. I should also note that you will be playing in a different key than the key of your harp, and your key will be one whole step up from the one written on the harp: thus a G harp plays in A, an A plays in B, and so forth. I should mention that, due to the lack of a B#/Cb and a E#/Fb (these notes don't exist, at least in most western music) a B harp plays in C# and an E harp plays in F#, while a Bb harp plays in C and an Eb harp plays in F

Another interesting scale, which only requires bends on 4 and 6 draw, which I found to be the easiest notes to bend, is the Arabic scale. It is similar to a major scale, just with diminished 2nd and 6th notes (i.e. 're' and 'la' are a half step lower)

The Arabic scale is:
4 -4' 5 -5 6 -6' -7
When you play this scale correctly, and listen to how it sounds, you will understand why it is called the Arabic scale. Much of middle-eastern music is written in this scale, and if you put combinations of notes together right, even a harmonica can have an exotic eastern sound.

Thats all the scale action I have for now, but if I find any cool new scales, I'll post them as a response to this lesson. If you know any other cool scales, post them up. Enjoy!

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.