Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Can anybody help me?
Posted by: laura.zambetti (79.24.82.---)
Date: April 25, 2012 04:01PM

Hello to everybody, my name is Laura and I'm a new user of this wonderful web site.
I have the following questions for you...
Can anybody teach me the different types (techniques) of the "bending" on a diatonic armonica? And do they always correspond to b and # notes (depending on the key, of course...)? Is there an useful handbook available somewhere?

Furthermore, can anybody of you correct the 2 songs I've just posted on Harptabs.com (that is: Precious time and Forty)?
I think they are not perfect....

I thank you very much in advance for your help
Laura

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can anybody help me?
Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: April 26, 2012 08:16AM

Bending as a rule creates sharps and flats, the exceptions are on the 3 and 10 holes, on the 3 draw hole on a C harmonica the draw note is a B, a half step bend takes it to a Bb, the a whole step bend takes it to an A, and a step and a half bend takes it to a Ab. On the 10 hole on a C harmonica the blow 10 is a C and the blow bend is a B.
Here is a site that can explain about bending that you can listen to also, if you just do a search for "bending on a harmonica" you will see there are plenty of sites to help you on this.
[www.harmonicaclub.com]
I am sure others will respond with some of their knowledge to help you on this as well.

As for your tabs, you have them lined up good but as far as correcting them we would have to see the sheet music that you tabbed from (if you tabbed from sheet music) to know if it is correct or not. I did a quick search and did not see any sheet music online for precious time, I did see partial sheet music for forty at musicnotes.com and it shows that it is in the key of Ab and you have it tabbed in the key of C. If you need it, on the left side of the page under the resources heading you will see "tab rulers", when you click on that it will show you the layouts for all the different keys.
There are others here that have more and better knowledge than me that will also help you out with any other questions that you may have.

So welcome to our site and we hope to see more tabs from you.

Posted by: laura.zambetti (213.26.34.---)
Date: April 26, 2012 08:28AM

Thank you very much Yukon!
I'm going to connect to the sites you suggested to me, too.
Will let you know
Thank you a lot for yoru explanations and suggestions,
Laura

Date: April 26, 2012 08:30AM

Yukon, I forgot: I have tabbed the two songs simply listening to them, wihtout any music sheets.

Laura

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: April 27, 2012 06:58AM

That is a good talent to be able to tab by ear, I have done a few songs that way but for most songs I can't do it, I guess that it depends on the song for me.

Date: April 27, 2012 02:11PM

....in fact reading the music sheet of Forty you passed on to me I got aware that my tab was wrong in many points.
So, I decided to download the whole music tab of it and to arraneg the tab in Ab as you suggested to me.
I will publish the song tab again as soon as I have it ready, I think during the week end.
Regarding precious time I still haven't found its music sheet on the Internet, I guess it's impossible to find it.
I will try in some music stores... in the meantime I have canceled also this song from my tabs on Harptabs, because I guess it contained some errors too due to my bad understanding of the music while listening to it.....

I hope to publish it again in the future, anyway.
I have download other music sheets of other songs, I hope to be able to publish some of them too in the next future on Harptabs.

Thank you so much Yukon for your great help!

Laura

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.