Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
New Harps
Posted by: IanKnights (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 03, 2010 05:25PM

This is not really a "lesson", more a tip!

In the book Harmonica for Dummies, it recommends taking apart new harps and reassembling them to ensure everything is correctly aligned and tight. I have done this on my harps and my Promaster G and Special 20 C have both improved as a result of this simple procedure! I literally took them apart, including removing the reed plates off of the combs and carefully reassembled them taking care to evenly tighten the reed plate screws. My Promaster now growls out evenly on every hole and the SP20 seems more responsive than before, even though it was great beforehand!

Only takes minutes with the right screwdrivers - I recommend giving it a go.

Edit: Incidentally, I found some reed plate screws weren't 'tight' on a number of harps so it's worth checking all of them.

Post Edited (2010-05-03 14:01:01)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Harps
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 03, 2010 08:44PM

I not only take them apart; I make gaskets out of Micropore tape to put between the comb and reedplates.

Date: May 04, 2010 07:55PM

I will be doing exactly that Gene, once I get hold of the right size tape! Does it get damp/grotty once you play a harp with the gasket in situ? I noticed quite a bit of crud under some of the reed plates on harps I have played loads and loads.

Date: May 05, 2010 03:45AM

I haven't had a problem with crud in the gaskets.

Date: May 06, 2010 08:25PM

Ok, thanks. Just need to source the right size tape now!!!

Date: May 07, 2010 04:17PM

Got some at last..!!

Posted by: pjd777 (78.147.166.---)
Date: June 08, 2010 01:08AM

I think I will give it a go which screw drivers do I need please?

Date: June 08, 2010 07:45PM

Slotted head, philips head and mayde a pozidrive - depends on the harp. A set of jewellers screwdrivers usually cover most eventualities.

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2010 11:55PM

It's nice to have a set of jewelers files as well. Sometimes you need to do a little tuning.

Posted by: Freddyminster (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: August 30, 2010 10:49AM

I took my harp apart with much trepidation - I am not at all practical with my hands and anything mechanical I touch usually goes wrong. HOWEVER, on your recommendation, I managed to take my harp apart, pushed a bit of paper between the reeds to loosen them, AND amazingly put it back again. It really did make a significant improvement to the ease of playing the harmonica. Thanks for the tip!

Posted by: God (---.80-203-226.nextgentel.com)
Date: August 30, 2010 03:54PM

Gene, what is the purpose of the gasket tape?

Date: August 30, 2010 06:23PM

I doubt I really needed the stuff, but the idea is to insure airtightness.

Posted by: J (---.129.131.134.dynamic.rev.dft.com.au)
Date: September 02, 2010 01:10PM

My cheap little jambone harmonica (key of c), some of the notes went flat so i tried taking it apart and i found that the reed plates were rusted so i had to throw it away. So next time i think i'll buy something a little bit more expensive

Date: September 02, 2010 07:34PM

Buy a Hohner Special 20....good quality, reasonably priced and very playable. Been playing my SP20 in C every day since I got it (some months ago now) and it still plays great!

Edit: Had this harp nearly 5 months and it still plays perfectly!

Post Edited (2010-09-02 15:40:41)

Posted by: pjd777 (78.147.165.---)
Date: September 26, 2010 12:47AM

Hi! have got this special 20 and the draw holes 6 & possibly 7 are ultra sharp like over the top and I do not have a clue as how to tune a harp but do you thing that tuning could cure this problem and how do you go about tuning is it difficult? [new harpist]

Posted by: harmusman (82.44.234.---)
Date: July 10, 2012 06:38AM

Dare I say this "Tuning, it's a matter of trial and error on the most part for the beginner, and I'm no expert" you will need a fine file,electrical solder, electrical soldering iron. Now depending on whether you want the reed to behave higher or lower in key you remove from the tip of the reed (with the file) some miniscule shavings of brass, then when you find you have overdone it you can go back on it by adding a little solder to the reed and start again. If your ear is good you may get it first time, if not you will need a electronic tuner and know in what manner was the harp originally tuned to. I think it would be easier to get another harp.

Posted by: 03lindsi (217.155.185.---)
Date: July 10, 2012 09:47AM

Or buy a new reed plate and change them over

Posted by: harmusman (82.44.234.---)
Date: July 11, 2012 09:08PM

03lindsi yes a good alternative suggestion, but I think you will only be able to find reed plates available for the SP20. If you want to upgrade these, Antony Dannecker does or did replacement plates for them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.