Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Bending on the new harps
Posted by: MobiusDick (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 05:21AM

I have found the easiest way to do a draw bend with the single hole technique is by pursing your lips on a single note (and start on the 3 hole as it is easiest to bend a whole step on, and with practice even 3 half steps becomes easy only on the 3 hole); then, pretend that you are sucking on a thick milkshake that is difficult to get through the straw. Before you know it you'll be bending like a pro.

Up until very recently, I really liked the Lee Oskar Harps the best as they were easy to bend on, but since Suzuki has come out with the Firebreath, the Manji and the Valved M350V, bending a whole step on any note draw or blow is like second nature with the milkshake analogy (the 7-10 were the only blow holes that were easy on the Lee Oskar with the reverse milkshake blow technique-even though many people will tell you blow 7 doesn't work, it always has for me.)

I realized how much my playing has improved with these new Suzuki harps(and the Hohner XB-40 is pretty good too although it is more expensive and larger than standard diatonics) when I was playing live with some people who I had never played with before-it was spur of the moment: I asked them if I could join them, and I only had three harps with me. I have no problem playing in cross harp, 3rd, 4th, 11th and 12th positions, but I needed a harp I didn't have -and I was nervous at first -but I realized I was bending so well I was playing in any key I wanted without any problems. I didn't even need to switch from the firebreath E harp or the Manji D to play any song I wanted to play. I got a standing ovation after a solo that I worried about playing because of the key. But i easily could make any note I wanted.

As far as bending on chromatics, it seems to me only Little Walter could do that. I've never owned a chrmatic that cost more than about $300, so maybe the $1200 chromatics are different, but bending (at least with my style) doesn't work on those-so stick with diatonics.

MobiusDick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bending on the new harps
Posted by: harpo2500 (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 09:00PM

That's hard core.winking smiley

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.