Requests :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Post your tab requests here. 
Meaning of "*" in tabs?
Posted by: OldGrantonian (84.51.186.---)
Date: June 13, 2015 07:27AM

The following tabs are from a tune posted by WaltP. I would be grateful if someone could explain the meaning of "*"

-1 2-2*-2* -2* 2 -2* -3 -3
Oh row-an tree, oh row-an tree

(I suspect that these might be "bends". I don't know how to bend yet. I have a solo-tuned C harp. Would I simply ignore the bends? For example, would I substitute "2" for "2*"?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Meaning of "*" in tabs?
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2015 07:34AM

That would be a two-step bend. Diatonic harmonica tabs won't work on a solo tuned harmonica.

Posted by: bluenose (81.107.239.---)
Date: June 13, 2015 08:30AM

the tune that you are looking at is for a chromatic harp , the * is for when you have to use the button. for example -: -2 is draw on hole 2, *-2 is draw on hole 2 but hold the button in, *2 is blow on hole 2 and hold the button in. hope this information helps
rob
kro

Date: June 14, 2015 08:02AM

Many thanks for both responses. Each response has added to my knowledge.

>> That would be a two-step bend.

I found the "Tab Guide" page with instructions on posting tabs. The suggestions for bends are b or '. There doesn't seem to be any mention of *

I tried the Seydel TabTool using ' for a bend. The resulting output was not "Rowan Tree" :-)

I substituted all * by < for the button, and got good results as follows:

- Set left side of the TabTool to "Chromatic (Standard)"
- Set the input key to D.
- Set the output to "Notes", in key D.

The first two lines were:

D4 F4 F#4 F#4 F#4 F4 F#4 A4 A4
D5 H4 A4 H4 D5 H4 A4
Thou’lt aye be dear to me

All the sheet music that I found on the internet say that the first note of "Rowan Tree" is the root note. So, that looks OK. The playback sounded like "Rowan Tree" (I don't have a good ear).

If I set the output to "Notes" in key C:

C4 D4 E4 E4 E4 D4 E4 G4 G4
C5 A4 G4 A4 C5 A4 G4

Set the output to "Chromatic (Standard) with key C (I have a C solo-tuned harp):

+1 -1 +2 +2 +2 -1 +2 +3 +3
+4 -3 +3 -3 +4 -3 +3
+1 -1 +2 +2 +2 -1 +2 +3 -3
En-twin’d thou art wi’ mo-ny ties
+3 +3 +2 -1 +1 +1
O’-hame and in fan-cy
+3 +3 +4 +4 -4 -4 -3 -3
Thy leaves were aye the first of spring
+4 +3 +3 -3 +3 -2 +2 +2 -1
Thy flow’rs the sim-mer’s pride
+1 -1 +2 +2 +2 -1 +2 +3 -3
There was nae sic a bon-nie tree
+3 +3 +2 -1 +1 +1
In all the coun-try side
+1 -1 +2 -1 +1
Oh row-an tree

IMHO, the playback was "Rowan Tree".

If the experts agree that these tabs are OK, maybe I could submit the tabs?

Thanks again.

Date: June 16, 2015 11:00AM

I haven't played it, so I don't know what it sounds like. But I would suggest using "-" for draws and using no symbol for blow. When we see no symbol,we always assume it's a blow. This keeps the tab looking less cluttered.

Date: June 16, 2015 11:53AM

That's good advice. Thanks.

The tabs that I posted is the "raw" output from the Seydel TabTool. I can copy-and-paste to Notepad (or any editor) and delete the "+".

Date: June 17, 2015 03:47AM

OH, NOOOO!!!!
Tabs posted here are to be OUR work, only!!
Whichever tabs you have copied from other sites, please delete them!!
Sorry, but that's the rules.

Posted by: OldGrantonian (87.114.113.---)
Date: June 17, 2015 06:32PM

I have no problems with deleting my post. I've seen similar fair rules on other forums.

However, just for clarification:

- The tabs in my OP are accredited to "WaltP" (https://www.harptabs.com/song.php?ID=18881)
- IMHO, if I had "manually" transposed the tabs to my own values, I suppose the owner might be "OldGrantonian with credit to WaltP".

However, I did not manually transpose the tabs. I used the free "TabTool" provided by a reputable harp manufacturer. (I used the downloadable application, not the the online version).

But if the "owner" of the new tabs is actually Seydel, that's fine by me. I've emailed Seydel to ask if they consider themselves to be the owners of the output tabs. I'll post their response here.

Please don't think I'm being argumentative. I'm quite happy to use the Seydel TabTool and keep the output off this forum. But I thought it might benefit some other newbies to know who "owns" the output tabs.

Date: June 19, 2015 07:56AM

I didn't take your explanation to be argumentive. No problem.

I'm a little fuzzy on what you're doing. If there are any gray areas, Nick will make the decisions.

Cheers.

Posted by: OldGrantonian (146.200.157.---)
Date: June 23, 2015 09:47AM

It looks as if we're OK. Seydel say they don't own the output tabs. They give the example that the developer of a word processor does not own the output text.

Here's a copy-and-paste of the email.

----------------------------

Hey Old Grantonian,

as far as I am concerned, the translated output from the SEYDEL Tab Tool is not owned by SEYDEL - we cannot control anyway if some possibly protected input is converted into tabs for another type of harmonica - we are just providing a tool for creating tabs for other than the common Solo-tuned or Richter tuned instruments...think of a word processing software: the text written with the aid of this program (or a copied text which is altered or translated) is not owned by the company providing the software.

So it 100% depends on the the user - private use should not be a problem at all - and like always publishing could become a problem. IMHO tabs are 'playing aids' only and different from sheet music where the full melody AND note lengths (rhythm) are defined to play back a melody exactly and therefore sheet music usually is protected by a copyright - tabs remain a grey-zone.

Musical regards,

Bertram

Dr. Bertram Becher

Product manager, player and consultant

bertram.becher@seydel1847.com
www.seydel1847.com

C. A. SEYDEL SÖHNE - NRW
Spiekersstr. 18
D-59269 Beckum

Germany

Tel.: 0049(0)2525 807947

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.