What's up with Hohner?
Posted by: railjumper (54.211.75.---)
Date: March 09, 2014 10:23PM

Why is it that Lee Oskar can sell replacement reeds for half the cost of a new harp, but Hohner charges more than the price of a harp for their reeds? Hohner's MS reeds are $50, yet you can buy a new Blues harp for around $42. And forget about Sp 20 reeds.

Lee Oskars are good harps, I have several minor keys, but I'm not real fond of them. If Sp20's still made minors or low tunings that is what I would have bought instead.

I bought my first Seydel Blues Session in low D and am very impressed. As my 20's fade away I may be changing the look in my harp box to be more Seydel friendly.

Hohner just doesn't seem to care about the customer anymore. They still own the market and I guess they believe they always will.

Re: What's up with Hohner?
Posted by: GeorgeIII (67.122.136.---)
Date: April 08, 2014 03:52PM

FWIW,

I'm not a diatonic player so I'm not familiar with the different models names, prices etc., but looking at Hohner's parts price list it looks like it's $50.00 for the complete reed-plate...it seem's like they've got the price of replacement reed-plates at approx. half the cost of buying a new harp??
I bought a whole bunch of screws, valves etc., for 280's about a year ago and they certainly charge a premium, but I found the customer-service real good (they threw in extras of just about everything!!) Since then I have found alternate sources for screws etc., and I make my own windsavers.

GeorgeIII

Re: What's up with Hohner?
Posted by: railjumper (172.7.230.---)
Date: March 04, 2015 08:42PM

$50 for new reed plates is not a good deal. I can buy a complete Special 20 for $40 or less. Same with a Blues Harp. Buying new reeds is supposed to save you money, not cost more.
Also, why can't they sell just the upper OR lower reed plate? Most of the time I blow a draw reed. The blow reeds are fine. I've only had one blow reed go bad. I've asked Hohner this, with no reply.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.