Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
The Steven Tyler Signature Series Diatonic Harp by Hohner
Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.181.---)
Date: July 15, 2013 04:02PM

Having thought of the many reviews I’ve read in the past, the ones I always felt were most helpful were the ones who’s authors came back after a period of time and updated their review. And so it will be with this one.

To begin with, the black plastic storage “coffin box” case that comes with this harp is unique in that the instrument snaps into the case where it is held securely, even when the case is fully open and turned upside down! Yet the harp can easily be removed from its case when tilted and lifted up from the back. Ventilation slots designed into the case allow the harp to air out even when in a closed case (though I still wouldn’t recommend it). The case closes securely and requires thumb pressure on both sides of the face of the case in order to open it. Overall, it’s very well thought out, designed, and keeps the harp safe and secure.

The harp, only manufactured in the key of A Major, is strikingly beautiful with not a rough spot, sharp edge, or sharp corner on the entire instrument. The cover plates are black Greblon coated stainless steel with laser engraved “signature” of Steven Tyler and “Signature Series” boldly appearing on the top, and “HOHNER Made in Germany” on the bottom. The 1.05 mm brass reed plates are nickel plated and silky smooth on the lips. The Doussie’ African Hardwood comb is an eye-catching orange color that richly contrasts against the black cover plates and nickel plated brass reed plates.

The harp itself plays as beautifully as it looks. The Greblon coating on the cover plates allows the harp to slide smoothly in the mouth without sticking. Being quite airtight, the harp is extremely responsive to the slightest breath, and bends effortlessly. The tone is mellow yet warm, with a rich sound that can be quite loud with minimal air movement.

Overall, I am exceedingly happy with this harp and would highly recommend it to others. It’s by far my favorite diatonic now. I keep it on my desk, next to me, where it’s readily available to play should the opportunity present itself.

There is one caveat, though. This harp is not for people who have an allergy to nickel.

On a scale of 1 to 5 (with 1 being "Poor - Don't Waste Your Money On It" and 5 being "Great - Highly Recommended!" ) I give it five stars (or in this case, five smiley faces). smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Steven Tyler Signature Series Diatonic Harp by Hohner
Date: July 16, 2013 07:09PM

What was my previous favorite (diatonic) harp?... That's a good question, Steve, and one that I had to think about for a while because I thought one diatonic would just pop into my head, but none did. I had to spend some time and contemplate your question. (My overall favorite harp is actually my customized Suzuki Chromatix SCX-64... but we're talking about diatonics here.)

I guess I have several diatonics that I like a lot, for various reasons.

I like my Suzuki Promaster MR350 because it was the first diatonic I ever got (actually, my husband got it for me) and I consider it eye-candy. It feels good in the hand, has some heft to it, and is ergonomically shaped. However, it has some problems. Perhaps the CNC Lathe was imporperly programmed at the time the harp was manufactured, maybe it's something else, but long story short, it leaks like a sieve. sad smiley It's still playable, but takes and extreme effort and a lot of air draw with a LOT of air movement to get it to bend in the lower octave (apparently very unusual for this make and model of harp). When I do get a successful bend, the the bend is almost impossible to maintain and it waivers. Plus, I'm having to draw with such force that my lungs fill up with air too quickly. I can hold the harp up and "back light" it, and I can see daylight through the harp above holes 1 & 2, and under holes 9 & 10. I do not see this phenomenon with any of my other harps, or any of my husband's harps. I've been told I should send it back to the factory, but I haven't. Maybe because I want to keep it "as is" to be able to explain to others that "this is what you don't want to see" (another instance of "Reslove the odd"...). But I still like it because of the aluminum body (even if it may not be cut right) and because it's easily washable/cleanable.

I like my Seydel Blues Session harps, in particulare my key of G harp (RIP), because I like the sound of the lower keys. And, with the plastic body, it's easy to clean, too. I wore out that particular G harp (thus the "RIP" ), so replaced it with an upgrade to a Seydel Solist Pro in Key of G (along with several other keys). It's a nice looking harp, plays well (though not as well as the Steven Tyler harp), and sounds good. Due to the wood comb, however, it/they can't be soaked and cleaned like the Session Blues harps or the Promaster MR350.

So... I guess to answer your question, after an evening of introspection, seems I didn't really have any single, all-around, "favorite" diatonic harp. Have several that I really like a lot for various reasons, but didn't really have a "favorite".

Now I DO have an all-around favorite diatonic harp, and it's the Steven Tyler Signature Series harp (even though it has a wood comb) because it is SO responsive to even the slightest air flow, and plays so effortlessly.

The reason why I warned that the Steven Tyler Signature Series harp is not for people who have an allergy to nickel is because the reed plates are nickel plated. Through various Harp-L posts, I've read of people who have an allergy to nickel (and/or chrome), and prolonged contact with nickel (or chrome) causes acute dermatitis and swelling of mucous membranes. So those individual are somewhat limited in their choices of instruments due to their allergies. Fortunately, I have neither.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2013 07:27PM by EarthDogHarpin.

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: July 17, 2013 12:10AM

I bought several Promasters that had good combs. The last few I bought to complete the set had very rough milling. I don't know if they would have leaked or not (They don't, now.), because I made it a ritual to make gaskets for all of my combs as soon as I got them.

I use this for gasket material.

Posted by: gatman (98.160.231.---)
Date: July 17, 2013 11:02PM

Okay, Deb. You made me buy one. I'll hold you to it if it doesn't stand up.

Just kidding. I like to collect them

Date: July 19, 2013 07:17PM

Jeff, I would very much like to know what you think of the harp once you get it.

I actually purchased two of these harps, first, because it was a heckova deal, and second, because I wanted to see if there was consistency between the two.

I'm very pleased to say that both of my Steven Tyler Signature Series harps are equally responsive, equally well made, equally smooth, and equally as effortless to play and bend.

They are so responsive in fact, that when I first got them, I was just looking at one quite close up (to look at the wood grain and check out the inside of the chambers) and just breathing on it caused the harp to sing! It was a good couple of inches from my face and I thought whoa! What just happened? I brought it close to my face a second time, again, not trying to play it, but just looking very closely at it, and it sang again!!

When I did attempt to play them both, I was so shocked and pleased at the same time. So THIS is how a great quality harp is supposed to play like!

In a simple word: WOW. Just... WOW!! (okay, make that three words.)

Date: August 14, 2013 08:35PM

yeah Deb, I got mine and I love it ! I'm a die hard fan of harmonicas that have the full length cover, but as far as these "boxcar" type harps go, I'm sold on this Steven Tyler model, BTW, have you tried the John Lennon harmonica yet ? I got one and it is a sweet playing harmonica too. I don't know if it still is, but it was just on sale at Musicians Friend for like $30.00.

Date: August 14, 2013 08:36PM

yeah Deb, I got mine and I love it ! I'm a die hard fan of harmonicas that have the full length cover, but as far as these "boxcar" type harps go, I'm sold on this Steven Tyler model, BTW, have you tried the John Lennon harmonica yet ? I got one and it is a sweet playing harmonica too. I don't know if it still is, but it was just on sale at Musicians Friend for like $30.00.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.176.---)
Date: August 15, 2013 04:17PM

Yean, Jeff, I saw the John Lennon harp, and been eyeing it ever since. The price has gone up by a little, but if it's as good as the Steven Tyler Signature Series, it's worth every penny. It would be nice to have a C harp that's that responsive. Since it's kind of a special day today, I just might order one....

I've also been looking at the Bob Dylan Signature Series harp in "C" (not the entire set) and I may be scarfing one of them up, too (especially if it goes on sale somewhere)! grinning smiley smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 02:01PM by EarthDogHarpin.

Date: August 15, 2013 07:56PM

Well, happy "special day" to ya.

Posted by: twitch77 (63.155.117.---)
Date: October 02, 2013 01:53PM

I recieved this harmonica about a month ago, and it's become my goto harmonica. My promaster, special 20, hammond...heck...even my beloved blues session steel...they've all been pushed aside for my steven tyler harmonica.
I do feel that my promaster produces a better sound then this harmonica (I'm VERY noob at harmonicas...so don't let my opinions here chase you away! lol)...but this harmonica just plays so dang well and feels great in my hand and to play.
The 9 draw takes a bit more then any of the other's to make sound...but I'm learning to work with it (haven't opened the harmonica up to make any adjustments. Not sure I really want to).
But my complaints about the harmonica are greatly outweighed by the positives. It feels great, sounds great, plays great and looks fantastic!
Really happy with this harmonica, and take it with me everywhere!

Posted by: railjumper (172.10.104.---)
Date: November 13, 2013 05:15PM

Don't confuse the Steve Tyler Signature Series with the Artist Series. Which is what I did. The Artist Series is a cheap made in China harp. It doesn't say on the package made in China. Not until you open it and see it on the harmonica itself. Also, one blow on it, and you can tell it's cheap. I think an older Pocket Pal was better made.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.