Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
PROMASTER vs MANJI
Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 12:45AM

Okay, so I've decided to treat myself to a new harp. But which one? I've heard many good things about them both, and they are pretty close in price.
So I'm asking you, my eccentric extended family, to help me out here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PROMASTER vs MANJI
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 01:22AM

I don't know how they compare. I've never had a Manji, but I love my Promasters. I searched "Promaster vs Manji." I found this:

"I know I was positive in my remarks a few months ago. I have since acquired a Manji in C and have had a chance to play these harps for a while.

I am out a couple of Manji's and I am not as impressed as I once was. First, a tweeked Hoher overblows better and sounds better than a Manji. I have Manji's in C and G. Second, other Suzuki's play better than the Manji -- the 350 Promaster and the Firebreath are both superior in my book. Third, try a Manji. but if you want to try a great alternative to hohner MB's, try a Bushman Delta Frost. They cost about $30, and they are great. Read the reviews. (They are made by Seydel -- they don't directly say it, but they do indicate that they are hand made by the oldest harp producer in Germany.) My Delta frost overblows better than the hohners or the Manjis, and they have an awesome gritty sound due to their long lasting Phospher Bronze reeds."

That's from here.

Post Edited (2011-02-02 20:23:21)

Posted by: Werkis2 (95.68.68.---)
Date: February 03, 2011 01:03PM

Me either dont like my Manji but what i can say about it im still just a novice harmonica player . From my harmonicas Promaster's , Promaster HammonD, HarpMaster and Golden Melody are best - Manji only are better for me in hole 10 i can get out nice good sounding bend. But when i look in youtube ProHarmonica players - plays Manji really good... so maybe fault is just in me .. maybe i must stop blaming harmonica and try to play it just little bit better ...

Posted by: IanKnights (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: February 05, 2011 02:42AM

Jeff, buy a MB Crossover - you won't regret it!

Edit: I am gonna buy a full set, they're that good!!

Post Edited (2011-02-04 21:44:19)

Posted by: Werkis2 (46.109.66.---)
Date: February 08, 2011 04:57PM

The classic Hohner Marine Band harmonica has a new sibling. The pro-quality Marine Band Crossover sports a quality laminated, air-tight bamboo Comb (reed plates are fastened to the comb with screws) that creates a great tone and ease of bending for blues, rock, country, hip-hop, or whatever style of music you play. Comes in its own black zippered pouch.

The modern compromise tuning of the reeds is great for single note playing in different positions, but still ensures a full chord sound, making the Hohner Crossover an excellent addition to the line of Marine Band Harmonicas. The reeds and reed plates are identical to the Hohner Marine Band Deluxe. Replacement reed plates for this harmonica or the Hohner Marine Band Deluxe may be ordered directly through the Hohner Company.

Dave Gage Review: One of the best sounding and playing diatonic harmonicas out of the box. Great for players of all levels and music styles and worth the extra money for the increased quality and playability. The sound is bright, but not too bright. It plays as well as expensive, customized harmonicas.

The Marine Band Deluxe was a huge improvement over the old standard Marine Band, and the Crossovers are a big improvement over the Marine Band Deluxe. The Crossovers have a completely sealed bamboo comb versus the partially sealed Marine Band Deluxe comb which means no more comb warping and less air leaks with the Crossover. As noted above, the reed plates for the Crossover are the same as the Marine Band Deluxe and will work interchangeably.

Due to the "Compromise tuning", the chord playing is smooth and full and the single notes also play nicely in tune, so playing in positions other then 1st and 2nd is not a problem for intonation. Because of the air-tight construction (sealed comb and screws instead of nails to attach the reedplates), bending and overblows and overdraws are much easier then on most other diatonics. This is great news for beginners learning to bend and those speedsters and over-blowers out there looking for an air-tight harmonica that can keep up with their playing.

Date: February 09, 2011 04:20PM

Thanks for the info, guys. Although I've also been wanting a crossover for quite a while, I've been listening to Gene sing the praises of the pro harp since I've been coming here, and I really like my blues masters. So this time I got the Suzuki. It will be delivered today, and I am very much looking forward to it!

Date: February 09, 2011 05:06PM

I hope it lives up to my hype for you. Let us know.
What key did you get?
A few of my Promasters came with rough combs. I don't know if that caused leakage or not, but I made gaskets out of MicroPore tape just in case.

Post Edited (2011-02-09 12:07:47)

Date: February 09, 2011 05:14PM

Thanks Gene. I ordered it in the key of D. I'll take a gander at the comb when it gets here. I'm sure it will live up to the expectations I've got from your reviews (Ooh Ooh, Eee Eee Eee, Ah Ah!!!).
Jeff

Posted by: IanKnights (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: February 10, 2011 07:49PM

Got Crossovers in A and Bb recently (the A today!) - both FANTASTIC!!

Date: February 12, 2011 10:39PM

I've had my Promaster for a few days now, and I must say I am very impressed. It is heavier and more substantial than my plastic combed harps.
This harmonica has a beautiful sound and is a joy to play.
Haven't popped off the covers yet, but seems VERY airtight.
I am extremely happy with this purchase.
Thank you guys for your input.

Date: February 15, 2011 11:49PM

Ooh, Ooh EEEAAAIIIYYY!!! Ah, ah, ah.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.