Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Seydel Saxony Orchestral Chromatic
Posted by: WaltP (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 14, 2010 03:55PM

This is my first impression of the Saxony. First of all, the "Orchestral" means that it starts at G below middle C and goes up to F# (hole 10 on a regular 12-holer). This harp is heavy, the comb is coated aluminum, the reeds and reed-plates are stainless steel. The covers are matte finished stainless steel. The harp came with one bad gap (low C#) which I was able to regap to playability. I'll give it some break-in time before I do any more about that.
The slide works well and the instrument seems reasonably air-tight. The holes are round and very well chamfered. The harp is very smooth to the lips. I prefer square holes, but it's a minor point.
It doesn't have the volume of the Hard Bopper, but then, few harps do. This might have something to do with the stainless steel reeds, in that they react differently from what I've gotten used to. Also it's new and so the reeds may not be quite as responsive as they will get to be. I would consider the tone to be a bit warmer than the Hohners, but this is only a first impression, and since the Hohners are tuned a bit higher I believe, this might make it appear warmer.
All in all, so far an interesting instrument to play, and my first Seydel
This harmonica is straight tuned.

Post Edited (2010-06-14 11:58:10)

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.