Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Marine Band DELUXE
Posted by: IanKnights (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 30, 2010 12:11PM

I bought my first Golden Melody in Bb a few weeks ago and it will be the last GM I buy. Why? Well I found it leaky so put gaskets under both reed plates which did help but it still needs a whole lot of effort to play and the 3 draw is still awfully sticky.

Yesterday I bought a Marine Band Deluxe, again in Bb and guess what.....it is perfect straight out of the box! Each and every reed performs beautifully - it is a real joy to play!! Why oh why don't all new harps perform this well??

The GM has a new role now.....paperweight!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marine Band DELUXE
Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: June 02, 2010 12:40AM

Hi Ian it's nice to get a review on the MB Deluxe. Too bad about the GM, I've never had trouble with any of mine, but I know where your coming from. If I were to buy a harp and have that much trouble with it, I wouldn't buy any more of them either. You should return it. Most places don't want to accept returns on harmonicas, except under special circumstances. And it sounds like you have a special circumstance to me.

Posted by: Werkis2 (95.68.90.---)
Date: June 02, 2010 09:46AM

Really ? I heard many good and not so good things about about golden melody harmonica so i looked all around read about it overall rating 4.5 * and saw that some good players to use Hohner Golden melody harmonicas so i decided to buy one GM 540/20 in C key because of it's shape maybe be easier for holding in hands hmmmm.. .so now im waiting when they ship it to me .......

Idk but now i want that suzuki promaster with aluminium comb ...

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 01:15AM

I like my GM's. I haven't had any trouble at all. In fact, I intend to buy more of them after I try out some others that I want.

Posted by: Werkis2 (95.68.90.---)
Date: June 03, 2010 10:04AM

Maybe you just don't have enough skill to play it me either didn't like Lee Oskar at first but fault was just in me and since lee oskar is more difficult to play than other harmonica - bends, overblow etc.

Date: June 03, 2010 08:28PM

Well I have no trouble with my....

Marine Band Deluxe in B flat or
Marine Band in C
Big River in A or
Promaster in G or
Hammond in A or
Special 20's in C (two) and A flat or
Firebreath in C etc

.....so I think it may be the Golden Melody harp, rather than my technique! As for returning it, I have put gaskets under both reed plates and played it for some time hoping it would improve with time played so no chance of returning it now. No harm done though - I might try another in G at some point to see if I just got a 'lemon' by bad luck.

Date: July 22, 2010 07:33PM

For the record, thought I should now say I have persevered with my Golden Melody and it has certainly improved since I originally posted this thread. So, I guess they just take a little more time to break in....plus I have done some work on the 3 draw so that it is more responsive. Overall a decent harp but not a personal favourite.

Posted by: ricanefan (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 23, 2010 08:17AM

Sounds like you got a lemon. GMs have a great reputation for being easy to play and work with. Glad it's coming around for you...

Date: July 24, 2010 10:34AM

I think you're right Jeff. I will certainly try another one out, either in A or G, but not till I've got thru my wishlist, which includes a Suzuki Manji, Seydel Soloist Pro, Tombo Folk Blues (mark 2) and maybe, just maybe a Suzuki Pure Harp....but don't tell the wife!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.