Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Beginner Chromatic Harps
Posted by: hardharper23 (---.9.31.96.cable.dyn.premieronline.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 01:27AM

What would people recommend for beginner Chromatics? Like Hohner's "Educator 10" or "Chrometta".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beginner Chromatic Harps
Posted by: Tobbe (213.21.100.---)
Date: August 06, 2010 03:01PM

I started with a Hohner SuperChromonica and so far i donĀ“t regret it.

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2010 03:41PM

Depending on your budget I woud agree with Tobbe, or possibly the 270 deluxe. Hering's middle line chroms are good, except for repairs. I'd avoid the Chinese chroms as I've had bad experiences with them. The Educator I believe is only 10 holes, although I may be wrong, I don't think it has windsavers, which are quite useful. The Chrometta's a lot of fun, but quite a paradigm shift for a diatonic player, as you could just about fit a diatonic harp in one of it's holes.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.190.---)
Date: August 07, 2010 05:57PM

First chromatic I received was a Seydel DeLux. Have been very pleased with it for the most part *EXCEPT* for the fact that it requires special star-headed screwdrivers (not Phillips head - big difference) in order to get the cover plates off for cleaning purposes. Bummer, since chromatics require regular maintenance....

Second chromatic I received was a Hohner 64 Chromonica 280 (wanted the bass below middle C without loosing the treble range - which requires a 16 hole chromatic). For a stark beginner at chromatic I'd go with what Tobbe and WaltP said, get a Hohner 270. It's a 12 hole chromatic, so it's not as large as a 16 hole, but that's good because there's less area to "get lost" in. More importantly though, is the fact that it can easily be taken apart with a standard, albeit small, Phillips head screwdriver for regular maintanence purposes.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.