Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Hohner Blues Bender
Posted by: IanKnights (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: January 29, 2010 04:01PM

Hi all.

I am new to the harmonica, having got a cheap "Made in China" harp with basic instruction book for Christmas 2009.

However, I am so into this instrument I have already bought a Marine Band to replace the cheapy (cos it started to pack up!)

The MB sounds fab and is much easier and nicer to play. However, I am still having trouble bending notes and feel whilst I am still a newbie I should buy another C harp that will be easier for me to learn more techniques on. I have read loads of stuff about all manner of harps and am leaning toward a Lee Oskar, Suzuki Bluesmaster or Hohner Special 20. But before I part with my hard earned cash, has anyone got any 1st hand experience of the Hohner Blues Bender? It appears to be a fairly new edition to the market in the UK and claims to be "easy" to bend the lower notes.

I am dead keen to get to grips with bending notes so really need a harp that will be easier for a novice like me to do so.

Any views/commments would be most welcome.

Thanks.

P.S. This is my 1st post and I would just like to say this forum in itself has encouraged me to play more and more. The tabs are FANTASTIC!

Post Edited (2010-07-22 15:48:39)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hohner Blues Master
Posted by: gene (---.swbell.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 04:36PM

Oh, no...Here we go again. :p
Everybody's going to come to this thread to talk about their favorite brand, and I sure plea guilty to that.

Suzuki Promasters are my favorite, and I believe they have a reputation for being easy to bend. (I think Suzuki Bluesmasters are the same harp, but with a plastic comb instead of metal...But I'm not sure. You might want to read about their reeds and reed plates to find out.)

Anyway, as long as you have a decent harp, your technique is more important than the brand of harp. My bending improved immemsely the moment I read or heard something from a David Barrett book or DVD. He said to start with the draw 4. As you draw, slowly articulate the word "you." Somewhere during that articulation, the note will bend. Remember your tongue position on that note. Next, draw other holes and do the same thing. The lower the note is that you start with, the more you will have to drop your jaw. The draw 1 on the lowest key harp will be the hardest draw bend to do.

Date: January 29, 2010 04:50PM

Thanks Gene.

I think you're right about metal/plastic combs for Pro/Blues.

Funny thing about my MB is I can bend the draw 1 quite easily but seem unable to accomplish it on any other notes...? Practice will make perfect so I will stick with it. Think I might go for the Suzuki Bluesmaster to start with and work thru a few other makes/models over the next few months till I find a harp most suited to my style of playing.

Posted by: yukon (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 30, 2010 07:35AM

I use the Suzuki Bluesmaster, the comb is the only difference between it and the Promaster, other than the price, they both use bronze reeds from what I have read on them. I find them easy to bend, but as gene said it is proper technique that matters most.

Date: January 30, 2010 12:00PM

Ok - thanks for the feedback.

Once I manage to source a Bluesmaster at the right price I will post my views. I hope its as good as it appears it may be as I rather like the look of the translucent red comb, which will mean buying another harp in any key other than C.... smiling smiley

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 30, 2010 10:30PM

The C harp is the only key of the Bluesmasters that are red.

Date: February 03, 2010 09:14PM

My Bluesmaster arrived today, in the key of C (black comb). Looks and feels great and was easy to play once I got used to the larger holes, compared to my MB. I particularly like the cover plates - much nicer in the hand than the shorter ones on the MB. It takes just a tad more effort to play than my MB but I am sure that will improve once I have played it for a good few hours or so.

I think I am going to grow to love this harp and will be spending the coming days practicing those bends!

Now....what harp shall I try next... :-)

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 12:38AM

I knew you'd like it!!

I guess I got it bass-ackward. The C is black and the rest are red(?)

Posted by: yukon (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 01:40PM

Gene, that isn't even always true, I got a G harp and the box it came in, the original tag said it was a D, that was crossed out and someone wrote it was a B, when I opened it up it was actually the G that I ordered but the comb was black, so I checked the reed plate and it was a G also, so I am still not sure why the comb wasn't red (maybe they were out of the red combs when they made mine), but I figured I got the right key, and I could play it so I didn't worry about it.

Date: February 04, 2010 08:58PM

You were dead right gene! Spent a lot of time playing it today and it really is a great harp. And now I don't have to worry about the comb swelling and leaving it in a warm room overnight!! This one factor alone has meant playing it for longer in one day than I ever did my MB. Maybe a tip for us newbies is to leave wooden combs until we are more proficient.

Having said that, my MB won't become a paperweight as I love the way it plays/sounds- I'll make sure I continue to use it but not necessarily every day.

Posted by: pjd777 (78.147.166.---)
Date: June 08, 2010 01:41AM

get a Suzuki 350 Promaster it will cost you a little xtra but believe
me they a great value for money they feel good in your hands and
are responsive good for bending with a real gutsy full tone and most
of all its a real kind harp for beginners and experienced players as
well, mine cost me £40 and I have also a Hohner master class which
cost quite a bit more but the Suzi 350 is my fav the top end on the
master class I find to be a bit tight in comparison to the 350 I hope this helps... good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.