Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Hohner silver star...
Posted by: mity88 (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 12:59PM

Have any of u guys ever heard of this hohner...i googled it and it seems to be an okay harp...what do yall think? thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hohner silver star...
Posted by: ricanefan (---.metlife.com)
Date: July 01, 2009 03:14PM

Ty,

The Silver Star is a beginner level harp, like the Pocket Pal, Blues Band, Great Little Harp, Hot Metal, American Ace, Fuego Azul, Official Scout and Old Standby.

It can be adequate for a while, but if you are playing or will play with even a moderate amount of seriousness you will outgrow it quickly.

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 05:26PM

Besides, Hohners lower end harps are made in China now. No offense to Chinese people, But I won't stick anything in my mouth that came from there.

Date: July 01, 2009 08:57PM

Thanks for the info and honest opinions, but where i stay, i can only seem to find chinese stuff...so i thought at least the hohner will be better than what im playin now.but if its also made in china,is it worth paying more for the "name"...and will the quality be any better than the harps im playing now?thanks guyz

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 09:30PM

If you could afford a little more money, click the "links" button to the <--left
and look under on line stores. There are a lot of reputable stores out there where you can find about anything you want.
The Chinese thing is just my personal opinion, I have no first-hand knowledge
Of differences in quality. I just think if they moved production to a cheaper labor market, their prices should have gone down instead of up. Plus, if my kids can't play with Chinese-made toys because of lead content, why should I put it in my mouth?

Posted by: yukon (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 02, 2009 07:38AM

I play the Echo Celeste's by Hohner, they are made in China and I find them to be better than some of the other higher price tremolos of other companies. Hohner requires that all components used in their harmonicas, or any instrument,pass their quality tests and not just that of the country that it is made in, so that no matter what country their product is made in the parts are the same. Not all companies do this and those are the ones that end up with the problems.

Date: July 02, 2009 12:19PM

Good point yukon...so with the name comes better quality?...well.thanks for all ur comments.i think i will get one(sorry gatman) and as i advance ill consider something better...

Posted by: ricanefan (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 02, 2009 09:38PM

Like I wrote - it can be adequate for a while. Because I kept "retiring" from the harmonica and picking it up again, my Pocket Pal was my primary harp for years, until I finally bought another harp in C (a Marine Band) and broke it in to my liking. I still have "old faithful", but it's a memento now...

Date: July 03, 2009 07:08AM

Ricanefan, whats this talk about breakin a harp in? ive heard some guys say this, but what does it actualy mean? is it like gettin ur strings on a guitar worked in? thanks guys,i havnt got the harp yet,but ill let u know what i think of it...

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 03, 2009 07:31AM

Some people think you should play it gently for a few days, some people think it doesn't matter.

Posted by: ricanefan (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2009 10:42PM

I've got a variety of Hohners, but only the Marine Bands have "broken in". It's like a baseball glove for me. The feel is as if the reeds are stiff and need to be softened. I don't believe that that is what happens, but that's the way it feels. A new MB plays the notes right out of the box, but they're a bit "windy" and bent notes are a bit extra work and not as clean. Typically, I avoid bending notes until the notes start sounding richer, warmer and easier to play. Then I consider it "broken in" and feel free to play it like any other harp...

Date: July 04, 2009 06:24AM

Hmmm,but that feeling must come with experience...coz i have no idea how to feel if its broken in or not...anyway,its gr8 that u guys are so willing to help us noobs...its cool...

Posted by: wottatank (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 06, 2009 09:38AM

dont buy it its **** its the harp I learned to play on, if you want a good harp get the special 20 the silver star breaks easy and after playing it for 2 months it has already busted 2 reeds!

Date: July 06, 2009 12:35PM

Lol wottatank...who did u throw it at?..but thanks for the info,i stil havnt bought it, i guess i should really just get a better idea of harps, then ill go and buy the 'right one'...im stil reading any review i can get my hands on, its interesting.but so boring...

Posted by: X2jays (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: December 24, 2009 07:21PM

i've got a special 20, and it is awesome the sound that comes out of it is awesome maybe it's just 1 in a mil that it a good one but it awesome.

Posted by: pjd777 (78.147.166.---)
Date: June 08, 2010 01:47AM

No! not the best harp Hohner ever made hard to play the price
reflects the performance of the harp I wouldnt recommend the
S/Star to any one starting out it could end up turning you off
playing the harp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.