Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: wood or plastic comb?????
Posted by: kevin456 (91.125.229.---)
Date: September 30, 2012 12:24PM

As a re-beginner and newbie to this site, I did a LOT of research before buying my harmonica, eventually deciding on the Hohner Marine Band Deluxe. The fully sealed pearwood comb has the appearance of plastic and with rounded corners, certainly doesn't shred my tongue. Yes, it was quite expensive for a first harp, but my motto is always buy what you can afford (within reason) then you won't be disappointed if it falls to pieces in your hands.

My first attempt at learning to play was way back in the mid 70's, when I bought an Echo Super Vamper (also by Hohner) but not knowing how to play at ali, the wood comb soon swelled and was unplayable. I became disenchanted with the instrument and gave up.

Now aged 57 and with a lot of available time, I'm really enjoying my new MB Deluxe.It's a beautiful instrument; hand made in Germany and I can't fault the workmanship at all. Even comes with a handy zipped carry case.

Remember; "The sweetness of low price is soon replaced by the bitter taste of poor quality"!

P.S. Hope my first post isn't too longwinded?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: aloysious (54.198.161.---)
Date: March 22, 2014 05:26AM

Walt wanted to know about metal combs affecting the sound, and gatman liked his alloy combs better... I never had any problems with the rosewood comb on the Firebreath; it has a nice sound too. The wood on my Seydel was problem free, and sounds good. The Marine Band shredded my lips, but sounds good. The Thunderbird composite bamboo comb is nice, sounds nice too. My Special 20 sounds alright with a plastic comb; so do my Lee Oskars... alright, kinda light maybe.. The Mieister Class has a brighter sounding aloy comb, with more body than the plastic, and more grind then the wood. The Manji has a nice sounding composite comb, I think I perfer the composite on the Thunderbird and Manji over the plastic combs too.
All that being said, I love my crystal Honher! I bought a stainless steel comb for my other MC. I have brass combs on my MS Blues Harps, my Thunderbird, and Manji too.
Each material has it's own qualtiy, I perfer my crystal C, my steely D, oh, the brass sounds like a horn on Bb!

Posted by: GeorgeIII (67.122.136.---)
Date: April 08, 2014 03:19PM

FWIW,

I just completed the renovation of an old, wooden-combed Hohner 280 - cleaning/sterilizing, replacing the spikes with screws, sealing/repairing the comb, new valves etc., etc., - and my conclusion is (apart from the experience or satisfaction of the actual renovation) I will stick with the plastic combs ('til I can afford one with an aluminum combwinking smileywinking smiley)
I don't hear enough of a difference in the sound to make it worth the expense and time required to bring one of these old buggers up to scratch and the difference in the mouthpiece (IMO) makes them more uncomfortable.
...stick with plastic...

GeorgeIII

Posted by: pastorbk (24.151.186.---)
Date: April 20, 2014 03:28AM

I have both wooden and plastic-combed harps, and I can't tell much difference. A bigger issue for me is the ability to thoroughly clean the plastic combs. I look closely at my MS Blues Harp (wooden comb) and shudder a little. Since I got my Special 20s, I think I've only played the Blues Harp twice.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.