Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
wood or plastic comb?????
Posted by: wottatank (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 30, 2009 06:04AM

Ive heard that wood combs sound better but aren't as durable and tend to swell up and lose airtightness quickly??
Got any thoughts??
Commants??

Wottatank

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wood or plastic comb?????
Posted by: gene (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: June 30, 2009 07:02AM

For the reasons you mentioned, I'd stay away from wood. As far as a difference in tone, I don't think there is any at all.

Read this.

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: June 30, 2009 07:16AM

The argument will probably go on for ever, but I think it all just comes down to personal preference.

Posted by: yukon (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 30, 2009 09:52AM

I still on occasion play my very first harmonica, which is a marine band 12 hole with a wood comb, I got this in the early 1970's, it doesn't sound quite as good as it did back then (reeds are a bit off tune), but it is still very playable (has remained very airtight). The diatonics that I play now are the suzuki bluesmaster with plastic combs, these are my personal favorites, I agree with gatman that the argument will always go on, but if you want a wood comb and want it to last longer it takes more care than the plastic.

Posted by: ricanefan (---.metlife.com)
Date: June 30, 2009 04:59PM

My experience is limited to a handful of Hohner models, and my preference is for the wood combs I have tried (Marine Band and Blues Harp) over the plastic combs (Pro Harp, Golden Melody, Special 20). I'm excluding "lower grade" models from this comparison.

I remain suspicious that it is the comb material and wonder if instead it has to do more with the construction. I also have a plastic combed Cross Harp which I like just as much as my MBs or BHs.

Posted by: ivannaharpalot (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 10, 2009 04:58AM

i just started playing recently and I have a marine band 10 hole as well as some hot metal harps. The wood comb on the marine band definitely swells after a little while, but I don't mind it that much. It certainly didn't live up to the rumors other people told me about wood combs (your lips would snag and get cut up!) Maybe I am in the minority here, but I like the wood comb better. It also could be that the hot metal harps aren't very good and the marine band just outclasses them!

Posted by: ricanefan (---.metlife.com)
Date: July 13, 2009 08:33PM

You're right more than once, Brian...

First, the Marine Band is a long (long!) time standard bearer, while the Hot Metal is a beginner level instrument. The MB without a doubt out-classes a HM.

Second, I don't think people have been destroying their mouths on new MBs - probably more on old, dried-out, worn models.

Third, you "like" the wood comb better - it's a matter of preference, and neither wood nor plastic have been proven to be superior.

Because the MB has been the standard for so long, we woodies might not be the minority. With the rise of the non-Hohner brands, whose "flagship" models seem to NOT have wood combs, I'd guess it's around even right now...

Date: July 13, 2009 11:03PM

TASTES GREAT!............................LESS FILLING!

Well, you get the message.

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2009 04:44AM

Give me a plastic comb every time.

That old Marine Band from the old days was a lip shedder.

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2009 04:45AM

That old Marine Band did not last very long either.

Posted by: FroggyGM (---.3-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: February 20, 2011 09:12PM

Hi Miles,
To be honest with You, I am one of these people that Always believed in the superior sound of a Wooden comb, but now I have a harmonica with a Plastic comb, and I'm now also convinced it makes hardly any difference at all. The only Major difference is that plastic will last Years and Years longer.
Still, there might be a difference somewhere but I think You would only be able to hear the difference if You are an Experienced Studio-Technician with Very Well-Trained ears. To normal "Earthlings" like us it doesn't make a difference at all.
Go for Durability I would say. Some harmonicas (e.g. Suzuki Fabulous series) now have Silver-Coated Brass combs, but again, apart from ripping You of Hundreds if not thousands More of Your hard-earned Dollars, pounds, euros or whatever else, it makes no difference in the sound.

I do believe that the most durable material would be metal, I seem to think that plastic does not have the eternal life either if You ask me, but also that could just be nothing other than my pre-fixed opinion or preference if you like.

Posted by: cjd (203.58.95.---)
Date: February 21, 2011 12:08PM

Anyone else for a Aluminium comb?

Post Edited (2011-02-21 07:26:37)

Posted by: Werkis2 (46.109.68.---)
Date: February 25, 2011 10:07AM

Its not aluminium, but aluminium aloe , its fine i cant tell u cause i still dont have any wooden harmonica except a tremolo .

Also i wish my hohner golden melody had a suzuki manji 50% wooden fiber comb but other things ino manji i dont like !

Date: February 25, 2011 03:15PM

Chris, at Genes urging I recently bought my first Suzuki ProMaster. I don't know if I'll ever go back to plastic. This is an awesome harmonica!

Posted by: cjd (203.36.176.---)
Date: February 27, 2011 11:53PM

It's good when you find something that just fits, isn’t Jeff?

I know that it should not make any difference to tone, but there is something about the weight it adds. I have a couple of different types with alloy body’s and they feel so much better than all the others. I wonder if anyone who has tried alloy has decided to go the other way?

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 01:53AM

I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks that a metal comb impacts the perceived tone.

Posted by: cjd (203.36.176.---)
Date: February 28, 2011 03:53AM

Many claim that the tone only comes from the reeds and after in relation to air flow. So it would be reeds and covers that affect tone. I can’t see how anything stationary before the reeds can affect tone, but I reckon that this will be debated by many, especially the traditional wood users.

All the alloy combs I have sound better than the rest, but I believe that it is because they are just a better quality all round and not because of the comb.

Walt, between you and me, I don’t think the we could honestly tell the difference even if there was a difference.

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 10:43AM

The reeds are tiny pieces of brass (or whatever), so they can't create enough pressure with the soundwaves to affect the comb. You would very probably hear the difference in sound if you were to play in rooms with walls of different materials, but those tiny holes through the comb ain't gonna make no diffurnce.

Posted by: railjumper (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 28, 2011 04:52AM

I have both, but I am gradually going more plastic. They are easier to clean. Pull it all apart, take a toothbrush, some alcohol and brush the reed plates, comb and covers, rinse and put it back together. Can't use the alcohol on wood comb because it will remove the sealer.
Plus I've noticed they only use 2 reed screws on the Blues harp, probably 'cause it's wood and they don't want to drill between the holes.

Posted by: gatman (98.160.231.---)
Date: September 05, 2012 07:39PM

Walt says: I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks that a metal comb impacts the perceived tone.

I think it's all in the head of the musician. We all have our pedjudices and pre-conceptions, and I think that plays in to what we hear in a particular harmonica. That being said, the Suzuki Promaster has the best comb material because that's what sounds best to me....and my opinion counts more than yours.JK.
The Suzuki Promaster and Hammond do have the best sound in my opinion because they came right out of the box ready to play. The only harps I have that needed NO adjusting , sealing, or gapping to sound good/correct.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.