Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best looking Harp
Posted by: mattsihler (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2009 03:26AM

In your opinion, what is the best looking harp? I rank my Seydels as number one, with my Suzuki Firebreath following extremely close behind- then comes my Suzuki pipe hummimg- although not a standard diatonic, it is still strikingly beautiful.

Out of my non Diatonics, my 280/64 seews to turn a few heads, it's sheer size and the button alone make people respect the instrument. A coworker of mine took one look at it and was convinced he needed to introduce me to some friends of his that play other instruments, little does he know how little I know- the Chromatic is still a mystry to me as far as making any real music that people will enjoy listening to. Diatonics are a lot easier.

Anyway I digress-

I have a Hohner Comet, and while I saw a musician playing one on TV (which is what inspired me to buy one), I'm very disapointed in it. It doesn't ook nearly as good as i thoght it would, the sound is even worse. Pluse it is light as a feather. My son (who is a little over 3) loves it- I'm going to give it to him soon- also, the higher notes on it are messed up, instead of playing ocatves, some of the reeds are completely unresponsive (yes, I've opened it up on too many lunch breaks to fix the damn thing) so you are playing octaves and people are like "wow what a cool instrument" (which is what i want- not recognition for myself as a good player, I want everyone to know the extreme joy I have found in harmonicas), until i move to some high notes and have to play it off like I am playing single noted on purpose...it's a shame, and the thing is light as a feather- I like a heavy harp.

Out of all my Harps, the best looking ome is by far my Hohner Highlander, it is simply a stunning instrument, bout sound and looks. defintely worth the hundred bucks, and when people see it, they ask to hear it. they desire to know what sound this incredible double sided harmonica makes, and as soon as they do, they think i'm a professional. let me re0emphasize how bad I suck at playing- I suck. But that Highlander makes me look and feel like a professional.

So what about y'all? I know I digressed, as I always do, but what do you think is the best looking harp?

Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best looking Harp
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 16, 2009 07:28AM

I don't know about the best looking harp, but I like all harps that have coverplates that extend to the ends the harp. Those that don't just don't look as good, and I wonder how people get a seal with them. I've never owned one.

For looks, I like the Suzuki Promaster and Bluesmaster, and Seydel has one or two that look like that.

Posted by: Justice (---.198.omne.uk.net)
Date: May 16, 2009 02:48PM

best looking?

Well the gold promaster and the hammond harp, the firebreath and pure harp are all stunning. Seydel soloist pro and 1847/1847 silver are beauitful.
all as good look as each other. Also the aero reed is looker to.
But i dont know if you have ever herd of Bend harmo nicas but there croma is somthing else.

Chroms, Hands down the astounding CX-12 Jazz. Epic beauty. makes me drool.

Same as the highlander the trelomo soloist is a beauty too.

and gene there some got looking "boxcar" shaped harps, and most are just as comfortable as the more smooth shapes.

Post Edited (2009-05-16 10:49:27)

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: May 16, 2009 09:46PM

Any harp I am playing looks FANTABULOUS!!!!

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 01:37AM

Well, been about four hours. Guess I put this subject to rest!

Posted by: Justice (---.198.omne.uk.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 09:41AM

well done gat! Few come to the dusty old reviews section these days, but hay, i like the quiet.

But in all seriousness gat, any you like the look of, when your NOT playing of course.

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 03:19PM

I like my chromatic Meisterklasse, it's all metal, weighs a ton, plays like a dream, and is perfectly smooth to the lips.

Posted by: PhilipSkovgaard (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 17, 2009 05:07PM

Any beat up vintage ole bluesy diatonic looks swell to me.

Posted by: grillslinger (65.117.144.---)
Date: May 22, 2009 02:59PM

I'm a big fan of the way Golden Melodies look.

Posted by: janx (---.nott.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 29, 2009 10:04AM

grillslinger said......
I'm a big fan of the way Golden Melodies look.

Me to.....for looks as said in another post.

Posted by: mrLof (---.ip.telfort.nl)
Date: May 01, 2010 11:03PM

For me the best looking got to be the Hering Vintage.
It was the first harmonica I ever bought and I still love to look at it.
It's just a shame the damn thing broke down in like 3 days or so...
My next harps may not be as pretty as the Hering, but at least they still work!

Posted by: IanKnights (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 02, 2010 02:37PM

Agree the Firebreath looks great - it plays great too! But for a good looking, affordable C harp that plays well, the Hohner 150th Anniversary harp is right up there!

Still LOVE my Special 20 the best tho!

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 02, 2010 08:14PM

This one, that Harmusman mentioned the other day looks nice. It's hard to tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like it's way to thick to play comfortably, though.

Post Edited (2010-05-02 16:16:50)

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.182.---)
Date: May 02, 2010 09:58PM

Hmmmm.... for me, the best looking diatonics are first: the Seydel Blues Session and the 1847s, second to that are the Suzuki Promasters and Bluesmasters.

Best looking Chromatics: Hohner 7582/64 Super 64 Chromonica, followed closely by the Hohner Chromonica 280C for 16 holers. For 14 holers I like the Meisterclasse.

Post Edited (2010-05-02 18:18:34)

Posted by: ricanefan (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 04, 2010 08:29AM

For me it the old standard: Hohner's Marine Band. Another at the top of my list is Hohner's Blues Harp.

Truth be told, there are very few harmonicas that I don't like the look of. With apologies to Matt, Suzuki's Pipe Humming is one, and most of Hohner's "Historic Collection" (Trumpet Call, Echo Bell, Harmonette and Harponette).

Posted by: Werkis2 (95.68.90.---)
Date: June 07, 2010 07:45PM

Lee Oskar 25th aniversity golden cover plate harmonica

B-Radical harmonica [www.harrisonharmonicas.com]

Hohner Golden Melody

Bushman
[www.ianchadwick.com]

Suzuki firebreath

Suzuki overdrive

Steven Tyler harp

wow i want this

Nes

Me to aksed to my father can he make me wood comb for lee oskar smiling smiley

Post Edited (2010-06-08 18:52:48)

Date: June 09, 2010 03:31PM

Monster call truphet

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.189.---)
Date: June 09, 2010 05:43PM

Awesome 'Possum post, Martin! Thanks for taking the time to do all that. There's definitely some Harp Eye Candy there....

Date: June 09, 2010 06:22PM

I didn't finished it so i will do more research later ... i know i saw more good looking harps some time ago but just can't rember now .... sad smiley

Posted by: pjd777 (78.147.148.---)
Date: September 05, 2010 11:20PM

Just looking at all those pretty harp pictures I have quite a collection now about 20 and the Honer Meister klass is pleasing to the eye then my seydel favourite then my golden melody with it sexy curves and a joy to handle and play.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.