Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
BLUES HARP MS??
Posted by: SlowHarp (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2008 07:30PM

im a newer play and am not yet aware of brand names and types. i got a Hohner Blues Harp MS in the key of E (i know... bad key for starters or downright anything) for my birthday as a gift, and am curious on how it differenciates from other brands, and what exactly is the harp known for?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BLUES HARP MS??
Posted by: TIN_MAN (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 09, 2008 12:11AM

ur talkin about the wooden harp that comes in that blue case
yeah its a cheapy really

personally i hate it
the wood taste funny
the holes are small
and there not airtight unless you stick em in water or ale for 20 mins and let dry

there harder to bend and hard to get a good solid consistent tome from
but thats my personal opinion others may disagree

Posted by: Justice (---.216.wightcablenorth.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 09:30PM

Agree with tin man there a bit rubbish but there are worse harps, a puck for instance.

but if you practise a lot you can make then sound alright.

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 10:23PM

It all comes down to personal preference. There is nothing wrong with starting out with a cheap harp, you can play any song tabbed for diatonic, it just may be in the wrong key, but it will still sound like the song.
As you can afford them, try out different harps 'til you find one that works
for you, then stick with that make/model.
The main thing is to play and have fun.

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 10:37PM

"There is nothing wrong with starting out with a cheap harp."
I disagree. They are hard to learn to play and will be discouraging.

The E harp can be hard for a beginner to play on the high end.

I know the Suzuki Promaster is good, and the Suzuki Bluesmaster is the same harp (I think), except that it has a plastic comb, therefore less expensive.

Those are about the only harps I personally know about.

Speaking from experience, even a cheap harp (if it's your first) is a good gift because it introduces you to the harp world.

Posted by: Justice (---.216.wightcablenorth.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 10:48PM

if you want the best harmonica to learn on in my experince, these three are good and are all about 20 Pound.

Susuki bluemaster

Delta Forst

Seydel Blues Session

They are all good the blues Session is a little dearer but there are all great to learn on. and good key for me is G or A i like them, but D is easy to bend on.

Date: December 10, 2008 11:35PM

I stand corrected with my head hanging in shame, Gene. As for you Justice, I return to my original statement; It all comes down to personal preference. I have tried quite a few makes/models and have found that I prefer the Hohner Golden Melody.

Posted by: redneck_harp (---.pppoe-dynamic.nb.aliant.net)
Date: May 19, 2009 09:12PM

the second harp i bought was a blues harp MS and compared to the cheap plastic ones i had i thought it was great until i got a marine band wich is 10 times better in my book if you can play it and you like it ,its a good harp

Posted by: janx (---.nott.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 21, 2009 12:02AM

I think the Honer special 20 is a good harp to start with, it's not expensive it bends easily and a lot of professionals recommend them.

Posted by: grillslinger (65.117.144.---)
Date: May 28, 2009 07:31PM

Golden Melody is my favorite as well.

Posted by: janx (---.nott.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 29, 2009 10:01AM

I love the look and sound of the golden melody but I find the reed plates a bit difficult to get used to after the SP 20, they protrude and I find I'm not quite as fluent on the notes sometimes.

Also I find it's not as forgiving on the lips.

Date: October 01, 2009 10:04PM

I was planning on adding a Blues Harp MS to my Christmas wish list, but reading the reviews here has changed my mind. I must say I'm surprised to see it rated so poorly, as it is in the same price range as the MB, GM, and the SP20.

Posted by: ricanefan (---.metlife.com)
Date: October 02, 2009 05:42PM

I am a fan of the BH MS. I had five stolen, and still have nine, and on none of them have I ever experinced any of the issues written above.

Date: October 02, 2009 10:31PM

Thanks Jeff, maybe I'll go ahead and try one. I've been wanting to try a wood combed harp, and from the ones I've seen, they look better put together than the MB.

Posted by: ivannaharpalot (---.bloombroadband.com)
Date: January 30, 2010 02:36AM

I got a Blues Harp MS in A for Christmas from my folks, and I have to say that I really like it. I think the biggest complaint about it is the wood comb being uncomfortable and I haven't really had a problem with that.

I do agree that learning to play on a cheapo harp is discouraging. I started on a hot metal harp and almost gave up because it sucked so much! Horrible tone and very inconsistent sound!

Just my two cents!

Posted by: Madrabbett (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 05:09PM

As a newbie I have no real expierance to sperm of.
So with that's said. I have a blues band (cheapest harp) and a blues harp ms
I like both of them. The wood comb is a bit sharp but I deal. I practice all day at work. 2-5 min a session with my BB and when I get home I play my BH. I don't see how itscheap or bad. A little sharp but I figure that's not horrible. I also itsa preference thing. With all the harps out there gust have fun.

Posted by: grayharp (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: September 17, 2010 09:38AM

I have to add my 2 cents worth and say that I have had several cheapies over the years and never seriously took up learning because of them.
Then I found this site and with good advice from some of you, including Gene, I bought a couple of better harps and haven't stopped practising since....... and still enjoying it!!!!!!

Date: September 17, 2010 06:22PM

Gene is full of it.......Um, you know, the good advice and great information.

Posted by: God (---.80-203-226.nextgentel.com)
Date: September 27, 2010 09:11PM

I also have to add, as far as the Blues Harp MS goes, it's my favourite harp. I don't know what it is with it, but I love to play it. It's dirty and it has a sharp and rough tone, not sweet and fat like the more expensive ones. You should think this is a negative, but it's great for playing rythms with lots of chords.

I would die without the Blues Harp.

Posted by: chemmer1127 (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: October 22, 2010 06:01AM

like is previously stated its all prefference......

i own almost the full line of hohner diatonics (in various keys)

just so happens that the blues harp ms in G
- i find it has a beautiful bottom end and a warm loose bluesy tone almost like an old class a tube amp

but my all time favourite harp is the hohner golden melody ( most of my playing is done in church and with a travelling christian group)

Here in Canada these harps are very hard to come by although the hunt is worth it for the warm round sound.

and for the record the blues harp is on hohners higher end of diatontic harps for blues style playing (according to the back of there packages) it is still made in germany along with the rest of the high end harps.
the "blues band" is the cheap made in china that we sell at work ($ 4.95 Canadian Dollars lol )

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.