Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Big River Harp
Posted by: ihatehippolovers (---.w193-248.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: March 15, 2008 08:14PM

I bought this harp in a package. Book on the blues C.D. and harmonica.At first I didn'tb use it as I already had a Lee Oskar and played that all the time. When I tried the Big River it seemed bulky in the mouth. However I liked the sound which to me was quite warm. So I persisted with it and really enjo playing it more than the L.O. Another point is the price varies from country to country. So in some places it's quite cheap and reviews reflect this but for example in France its the same price as the Bluesz harp and is dearer than L.O. Marine Band and Golden melody. Asz a newcomer I am now wary of reviews given by shops on line. Do they have an axe to grind?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Big River Harp
Posted by: macg1 (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: March 16, 2008 05:09AM

I like the sound of the Big River, but when one of the reeds in one of mine
went out of tune; what happened when I went to have it replaced?
The reeds in the Big River harp can't be replaced, I learned.

Date: March 16, 2008 09:56AM

Don't they come under the M.S. system? Willi

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 05:59PM

I went onto Hohners website, and they say the big river does have the modular system. Then I did some price checking, and discovered that the replacement reedplates cost more than the big river harp. The replacements are supposed to be better though.

Date: March 16, 2008 07:00PM

Thanks Gatman, this does relate back to my first thoughts about prices in different countries and differ'ent suppliers. Are the m.S. reeds interchangeable? i;e; could you buy a set of reeds and fit them to a Big River or a Blues Harp for example? Incidentally if anyone wants to customize a Marine Band, go to e How.com or contact David Payne at Elk River Harmonicas. à plus Willi

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 10:46PM

Yes the replacement reedplates are the same for all MS models from the Big River, right on up to the Meisterklasse. They are the standard plates that come on the Cross Harp. They are supposed to be of higher quality than those that come on a new Big River.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.