Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
I neeed Help On The 1490 Blues Blaster Harmonica Microphone
Posted by: The_PianoMan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 21, 2007 08:45PM

Now I want the 1490 Blues Blaster Harmonica Microphone but I don't know if it's good. I have heard some problems with the volume switch and the cable. Could anyone tell me there ideas on this mic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I neeed Help On The 1490 Blues Blaster Harmonica Microphone
Posted by: sully (199.43.32.---)
Date: August 23, 2007 11:33AM

It is a basic crystal based JT-30 that has an XLR connection. I have mine well over 15 years I don't laways care for the sound. The elements are not tested and cherry picked some can sound harsh. I would save a little more money and get a Crystal Ball from harp house if you want a crystal element or a Shure based mic from BLOWSMEAWAY.COM. Greg is a great guy and if you tell him your budget he will probably have something, perhaps a SM545 like Butterflield used mine honks. For bullit mics I like old shure elements and ceramic they have more bottom end and a little darker is sound ala william Clarke, Plus the crystals are very sensetive to weather. They can go bad in heat and cold.

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 09:57PM

The bullet mic's look kind of big to me. I've got small hand's and am concerned with being able to hold it and cup my hand's around the harp at the same time. what about the Audix Fireball? It look's smaller than the bullet's and it's a dynamic mic made for harmonica's.

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 05:46AM

There's another way to hold the mic. Hold the harp in your left hand the normal way (as though you didn't intend to hold a mic), then hold the mic with your little finger (same hand) and heel of your hand. Use your right hand in the normal way.

Find a glass or something that has the same diameter as a mic you're thinking about buying, and see if you can hold it comfortably.

Date: October 13, 2007 02:10PM

Thanks Gene, part of my problem is that I don't hold my harp the normal way, it's just not comfortable for me. I hold it like Adam Gussow does, but I think your suggestion for holding the mic between my little finger and the heel of my hand may still work.

Posted by: sully (199.43.32.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 06:21PM

Thanks Gene, part of my problem is that I don't hold my harp the normal way, it's just not comfortable for me. I hold it like Adam Gussow does

You may find that the way you hold is more comman than you seem to think. It allows for a larger compersion chamber to be fomed giving a bigger sound.

Date: October 23, 2007 09:33PM

Hey Sully, I didn't realize it was that common to hold the harp the way I do. Gussow is the only one I've seen hold it this way, but I'm pretty new at this, and all I've got to go by is pictures I see of other people holding their harmonica.

Posted by: sully (199.43.48.---)
Date: October 24, 2007 11:35AM

do not worry about what others do so much, in this area it is very much how YOU do things to achieve the tone YOU are seeking. In that area your acoustic tone is more at play.

go to harpgear.com and read Brians great Tone piece.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.