Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Johnson Blues King Box of several Harps
Posted by: MadHatterIX (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2006 04:38AM

I was looking around on ebay and i noticed alot of these. they seem fairly cheap. (cost the same for 12 as my one lee oskar). But are they any good?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Johnson Blues King Box of several Harps
Posted by: paulw (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 07:37AM

Dont waste good money on them they wont last. spend about $20.00 on a decent one. A delta frost or Lee Oscar will last you quite a while.

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 04:58PM

If you want to buy a set of all 12 keys for not much money, try the Blue Steel 12-key set.

Here's the link:
[www.harpdepot.com]

They still aren't quite as good as Sp20's , LO's, etc., but they're a good bit better (at least IMO) than the Johnson Blues Kings, plus you get a decent case that will fit harps like the Sp20's, LO's, DF's, SV's, etc.

Posted by: keva58 (---.ev1.net)
Date: August 20, 2006 02:25AM

I bought some Johnsons when I first started. Don't bother. You can forget getting any good sound out of the low ones like A & G. The D and F were the only ones that really held up and sounded ok. I tried a couple of Huang Silvertones for about $8 apiece and they were pretty good. They bend ok and play pretty loud without having to blow real hard. Thier only problem is they are not real air tight. I never checked one out, might just needed tightning.
For about the same price on ebay there some harps called Merano, and Merano Blues harps. I have several of these that I use as spares, like in the wifes car, my shop out back and such so there is always a harp of some kind around in case a jam breaks out. The reeds are made in China by Hohner. I think they run around $7, maybe more or less? They put in more reed screws than most higher priced harps, and sell replacement reeds which I have put in a Special 20 after drilling more holes in the comb to accommodate the extra screws that come with the reed plates. Reeds are about $4, come with reed screws, cover screws and a new comb.
Or if you are serious about playing, go for the real deal.....Hohner Blues, Marine Band, Lee Oscar, Herring............Because sooner or later you are going to buy 'em anyway!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.