Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Hohner CX12 Chromatic
Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 06:08PM

This is my first Chromatic harmonica. I find the action of the button very smooth. It has a very good mouth feel. I like the round holes a lot - easy to play. It is LOUD. I have not experimented with it's easy assemble/disassemble feature. I got a C. I wish I had a C Tenor because I do not hit the High notes, and a lot of songs need the lower notes that are on the C tenor.

This harp is not cheap. I got mine for $135 from Coast to Coast. I received it in just a couple of days! Coast to Coast always ships faster than any other mail order place I deal with.

Now if I could only play this thing as well as I can play my Lee Oskars.

Post Edited (12-28-05 12:25)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hohner CX12 Chromatic
Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 03:30AM

Well I did it. I got the C Tenor. I love it. I recomend it.

The C Tenor is what I would recommend if you want to get a first Chromatic. I just don't get to the high notes on the C. A lot of songs need the notes below middle C.

Did I say these Harps are LOUD. They put out a LOT more sound than any other harp I have.

I placed my order on Monday from Coast to Coast. I had the Harp in my hands on Thursday.

Posted by: [email protected] (---.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 12:48AM

I'm to the point now where I'm considering a chromatic harp to play songs using notes not possible on a diatonic. Sounds like this might be the one to get.

Date: December 29, 2006 12:06AM

Got my CX12 Tenor C today. Wow is it ever big compared to a diatonic harp and is the pitch ever low smiling smiley

Sure is nice to be able to play all the notes. Now I need to relearn how to play.

Date: December 29, 2006 02:58AM

OK, after playing around with it for a few hours I can make some comments on the CX12.

The tenor C is very low. Sounds cool but personally, I should have got one in normal C.

My 6 blow seems blocked or something. Maybe the reed is sticking. You need just the right amount of air pressure to play the note. It doesn't take much effort to make it dead.

Other than that, I like the harp. It's loud. The body and holes are clean and smooth. The slide is very smooth. I do like to play in the higher octaves though.

Oh and my cat hates the lower octave notes for some reason.

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 01:18AM

Sometimes a note goes funny on my C.

When it does I take it apart and CAREFULLY smooth out the wind saver.

Once in a while it gets out of place and the note goes bad.

You might look to see if your wind saver on the 6 is out of place.

Post Edited (02-09-07 20:57)

Posted by: tomahawk59 (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 11:24PM

I recieved my CX12 today, I really like it, but its like learning to play all over again, but what the hell, thats why we play isn't it!

Tom

Posted by: tomahawk59 (---.173.88.75.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 09, 2007 07:16PM

Well, after a few weeks with this new harp I must say it a whole new ballgame, but I would recommend it to anyone who is really serious about the harp. Its really a different animal, I like it, but it is going to take awhile to figure everything out.

Tom

Posted by: sully (199.43.48.---)
Date: April 04, 2007 02:58PM

Chromatic need much less air flow to make the note , like normal breathing. The CX-12 mine is sevral years old at this point is a good solid harp. Folks say you can bend the notes ......well for effect yes to achieve desired notes like on a diatonic NO. The way most bluesy players use it a 3rd postion no button ala william clark , lil walter. Keep it around the 6 hole.

All 12 keys can be played on a 10 hole diatonic .... if you know overblows and bends. It helps if you are like Howard Levy who I have seen play a song in all 12 keys an a C golden melody.

Check out William clarks version of the work song. the octives blow me away

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.