Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bushman Delta Frost
Posted by: alejol (---.88.8.78.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:26PM

I did have a brief flirtation with the Delta Frost, and I do like them. Easy to control your level of bend with them, and the tone is great. Played 'em, blown a few out (which I almost never do with my Lee Oskars -- I've had most of my existing set since '98 or '99). I really get better results with my higher-pitched DF's. The phosphor bronze reed has a heavy natural sustain, and I find it sometimes gets in the way when I'm playing fast on the lower keys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: February 20, 2006 07:54PM

I've read the ongoing debate about the Suzuki verses the Delta Frosts on just about every harp forum I've been on. Some of these debates get very heated. I've read that the Suzuki harps sound very similar to the Delta Frost & give about the same feeling in playability.

My Dad feels strongly that the Delta Frost came first and Suzuki is the copier... I personally don't care where it's manufactured... I just want a quality harmonica that I can depend on....

So what's the difference? Suzuki is cheaper to buy, for now... I also hear the price of the Suzuki models are going up... Bushman gets great reviews across the board, so, what it boils down to is where am I going to get great service, warranty, and replacement reeds. That would be Bushman. (smile)))

So, the next harmonica I get will be a Bushman Delta Frost. I'll write more to this thread to give my own personal review, when that happens.

~always Maria.

Posted by: sully (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 12:10AM

Hey Maria well put.

again I say ( pulled from above)

" Since 98% of the tone come from the player record yourself playing and see if what you are getting is what you want. I say record because what you hear while playing is not what others hear. Then stick with the harp that meets your goal."

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas4.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 03:19AM

Sully,

I feel compelled to say that you are very "elusive". This thread was started with: "Does anyone play a Delta Frost?" You jumped in with your version of who makes what, dribbled about the subject, but never shot for goal. Come on, Sully, go for it, man, tell us about your experience WITH THE DELTA FROST! You are either a real or fake know-it-all, and even you probably cannot say for sure...

Date: February 21, 2006 07:11PM

I started recording myself last November, and now recommend it to anybody who's trying to improve their harmonica playing.

Recording might even be a good way of checking and reviewing the quality of the tone to compare different harmonicas.

Sully... I am curious to know what your personal review of the Delta Frost is??? I understand that most of the tone comes from the player, so putting aside any engineering/manufacting questions, what kind of tone do you feel you get from the DF verses other harps in your own playing experience?

~always Maria.

Posted by: sully (---.patmedia.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 03:59AM

I wanted to dig up the two I bought and play with them before answering,
nothing special, not worth the extra dollars over other harps. I find them a bit shrill in the higher ranges. Lately I play more in a duo segtting with lots of 3rd postion playing on the celtic music and I do not care for the tone I have been getting. I also prefer the just or the ricther over the equal intonation. I own a D and F. I always end up with the Special 20 or Hering Vintage.

Date: February 23, 2006 06:11PM

thanx for your reply & review Sully. Perhaps it's the rictcher tuning that appeals the most for you. I can understand that. (smile)))

~always Maria.

Posted by: paulw (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 24, 2006 06:37AM

Hello all and Maria, I have been playing harp for 7 months as well.

I love my Delta Frosts for blues playing, they sound great and are durrable and easy to play. I own 7 of them as well as Lee Oscars,a promaster several honers and waiting for the mail to bring me 2 vintage 1929's (Maria how do you like the 1929 by the way).

I have never herd of who makes the DF's, but then again I dont care.

As for the manufacture of the Bushman bullet, I never seen it mentioned on who, just that Bushman had designed and had the rights to them and the manufacturer screwed them and some how Nady tryed selling them.
Its a real shame, the one I have is sweet. Its a nother case of greed runing another good thing. I feel for John Hall, he puts his heart and soul into his products and realy cares for his customers.
Paul

Posted by: sully (---.chubb.com)
Date: February 24, 2006 03:42PM

However the deal went Nady still has them listed as a available product. The element used both the NADY and BUSHMAN is a long time Nady design.

[www.nadywireless.com]

It would be a shame if Nady did pull some shady deal. I always have had great service from Johns company.

Date: February 25, 2006 07:04PM

sorry it took me soo long to get back to this thread. I had phone line problems, but Quest came out and fixed it... plus, I added a 2nd line so I won't miss phone calls all the time.

for PaulW: I really like the Vintage 1923 Hering's tone a bunch. It's a very responsive harmonica. My problem, and I'm sure it's just me, but I find it difficult to get a good embroshure on the Vintage because it hardly has a 'lip.' I imagine if I play around with it more, I'll get use to it, but right now, I actually get tired after a few songs. I lip pucker/block, and I think it might be easier to play this baby if I was a tongue blocker.

~always Maria.

Posted by: sully (---.chubb.com)
Date: February 25, 2006 07:33PM

I find as I go from harp model to model the pucker playing need adjustment. A another player suggest chewing like four sticks of gum to work the muscles so I do that every day and I have seen improvment.
Work on you tounge blocking it makes for a fuller sweeter tone. relax the jaw and the end with the high notes press into your cheek a little. The more choices the better I fell, I often use both in a song depending on what I am doing

Date: March 03, 2006 04:26PM

Hiya gang (smile)))

A friend had a Delta Frost in the key of C sent to me! I now understand all the hype for the DF. I'm calling it, "the Harley of Harmonica's." (giggle)))

At first glance, the DF looks & feels very similar to the Special 20. I laid out all my key of C harmonicas (S20, Hering Vintage, Marine Band) to test them against each other, and my husband and I agree that the Delta Frost has the best tone quality. I swear the DF makes me sound like a better player, so now I'm totally hooked and want a Delta Frost in every key! lol

I give the Delta Frost a 4 1/2 out of 5. (wink, grin)))

~always Maria.

Date: March 04, 2006 06:20PM

oh, one more thing...

As I've stated before, I have a thing for Irish music. A few month back, I had recorded one of my favorite Irish tunes, "Planxty Irwin." I really didn't like the way it was coming out. I wasn't hearing the chorus correctly. Now with a little more experience, and this new Delta Frost, it's coming out soo good. I'm hearing it the way it's supposed to be, plus getting a tone that I wasn't getting with my other harps. I'm really tickled! (grin)))

~always Maria.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.