Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bushman Delta Frost
Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas3.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 10, 2005 01:31AM

Does anyone play a Delta Frost?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bushman Delta Frost
Date: December 15, 2005 12:04AM

Well, starting today I do, because I got one for my birthday.

It is in the key of C Major. The only comparison I have is the Hohner Big River of the same key.

The first difference is the smoothness of the cover plates- the Delta Frost is smoother- much easier on the lips and mouth. Also the cover plates are recessed into the plastic comb; there is a smooth rim around which keeps it from pulling my mustache.

The sound is somewhat similiar- but the Delta Frost has a less "tinny" sound and is much more responsive on blows and draws with less air. It feels more "airtight" as well. I am no great master at bends, but it seems to bend easier.

I realize that the Bushman Delta Frost is a better class of harp than a Big River, probably the Hohner Special 20 would be in the same class- but I do not yet have one to compare it to.

The Delta Frost can not be purchased locally in my neck of the woods- it was around $31.00 shipped from Harp Depot.

I like the Delta Frost, and probably will moreso as I continue to play it.
I still like my Big Rivers, too.

I rate the Bushman Delta Frost 4/5.

In comparison, I rate the Hohner Big River 3/5.

If anyone has a Delta Frost and a Special 20 or other Harp to compare, please add a review of your own.

-rufus

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 05:14PM

Right on Rufus! (doing happy dance)))

I belong to another harp forum that has a thread that goes on & on about the Delta Frost verses other similar harmonicas ie Suzuki models. The Delta Frost gets better reveiws (on this thread) than even the Soul Voice!

From what I hear, the Delta Frost is in a better class than Hohner's Special 20. I do believe the S20 is a 'mid-range' harmonica, while the Delta Frost falls into a higher price range & quality harmonica.

Whoever got you the Delta Frost for your birthday must love you very much! lol

~always Maria.

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas1.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 16, 2005 12:35AM

It was a gift from my wonderful wife and kids.

I can't really compare the Special 20 because I do not yet have one.

The Delta Frost has different reeds than the Soul's Voice- they are not brass, but phosphor bronze which is supposed to be tougher and possibly longer lasting?

Maria, do you have a Special 20? Also what is your favorite harp? What key and what is your favorite song to play with that harp?

-rufus

Date: December 16, 2005 04:39PM

Rufus wrote:Maria, do you have a Special 20? Also what is your favorite harp? What key and what is your favorite song to play with that harp?

good morning Rufus (smile)))

Yes, I do own a Hohner Special 20 in key C. It was my 1st "real" harmonica after my Kay Chicago Blues harmonica went bad after a week (last July). Unfortunately, it came out of the box with damaged 2 hole reeds. I purchased it at Musician's Friends, who have a great guarantee policy and reinbursed me, ...which I turned around and bought a Golden Melody in G. (smile)) I still play my S20 on tunes that don't have a 2 in 'em. (grin))) In my opinion, the S20 is a perfect harmonica for beginners. It's very similar to Hohner's Marine Band, but the sound is a bit more "brighter" because of the plastic comb.

Almost from the start, I discovered I have a thing for the warm, rich sounds emitted from wooden combed harps, so I favor Hohner Marine Bands & Blues Harps... And I'm currently saving up for a Herring 1923 Vintage harmonica. (wink, grin)))

My favorite key tends to be the key my newest harmonica is in. lol I guess my A & Ab harps get the most play. I think that's because I sing in the key of A. hehehe

I don't have a favorite song, per say. I discovered Harptabs within a couple of days of buying my 1st harmonica, plus websites like Harpin' & Whinin' & Jack Earl's webpages, so I've had access to more tabbed music than I can wag a stick at! lol

I've had a policy of trying to practice my harmonicas for at least a 1/2 hour a day. I've gotten more & more into Irish melodies & old folk music. And, I find spiritual hymms are the best for me to practice on. Currently, my favorite song is, "O Holy Night," summitted by Frank (pcguyiv). (smile)))

Anyway Rufus, I hope I answered your questions. (grinning from ear to ear))) There are several nice harmonica websites out there, but they're "pikers" compared to what Harptabs has to offer in the way of tabbed music. lol To me, Harptabs feels like my "homebase website" because I feel right at home here. I think it's because Nick (djlactose) listens soo well to all the members ideas, so that's it's not HIS website... it's OUR website! lol I'm glad you joined because we needed more vocal members to participate. New harmonica players bring life to this place, and that's all good for everybody!

~always Maria.

Post Edited (12-16-05 12:40)

Date: December 17, 2005 12:38AM

You practice a half-hour every day?

I practice more infrequently, sometimes longer, but most often not as long. It would probably help if I practiced more consistently and more regularly.

But I do enjoy practicing and playing whenever I do.

-rufus

Date: December 17, 2005 05:19PM

Well, you don't want it to feel like "work"... got to keep it fun! But yes, being somewhat consistent has helped me improve by stages. Since I have 2 rugrats I'm raisin', I generally practice in the mornings after the kids get on the school bus or in the evenings, after they go to bed. Life can be hectic, so I don't always practice for a straight 1/2 hour... sometimes, I get 15 minutes in the mornings & catch up the other 15 minutes in the evenings. I often go over the 1/2 hour practice allotment, but not under.

Oh, by the way, I picked up a few Kay Chicago Blues harmonicas yesterday to give out to the kids in the neighborhood for Christmas. I wouldn't recommend those Chicago Blues for serious harp players, but I think they make great harmonicas for kids... and the price is right at $1.97 each at our local music store. I'm going to print out a few children's songs from Harptabs to wrap up with the harmonicas, so the kids can start playing music right away. Who knows, maybe a talented, young harmonica player will evolve! hehehe

~always Maria.

Post Edited (12-17-05 13:23)

Date: December 17, 2005 08:40PM

Maria, that is real nice of you.

Date: December 18, 2005 05:31PM

Christmas is a tough time for alot of people.... It's been soo commercialized. But, I still believe in the "Spirit of Christmas." I tell my kids the "Spirit" we talk about is in essence, "the love of Jesus." And Jesus loved the children. So, to me, Christmas is ALL ABOUT THE KIDS! (grinning from ear to ear)))))

Date: December 19, 2005 02:08AM

That is the Truth, Maria.

-rufus

Posted by: sully (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 04:35AM

BUSHMAN buys these from Suzuki who sell thiers as a low price alternitive to the Promaster line

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas4.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 04:42AM

Bushman buys what from Suzuki?

I'd like Frank to weigh in on this- He's very knowledgeable.

Posted by: sully (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 05:32PM

The term is OEM, Original Equipmnet Manufacturering. This is when someone makes a business deal to sell a product under thier name that is made by someone else. for BUSHMAN it goes like this. And as in this the maker also sells a version.

Soulvoice - Seydel makes them
delta Frost - Suzuki makes them
The know discontinued mic " torpedeo" - Nady ( still sold by nady )

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 03:48AM

Sully's right. Bushman has contracted with Seydel & Suzuki. Seydel makes the Soul's Voice (AKA The Weltmeister Blackbird) & Suzuki makes the DF...at least they make the main parts. They may not be assembled by the companies, & there may be a few custom made parts, but on the whole, Bushman outsources their stuff. Also, Seydel used to make the short-lived Bushman Bushmaster as well.

Date: February 15, 2006 12:08AM

Sully, I questioned your remarks.

Quite simply, because I do not know for certain.

Some of the people I asked hardly doubted what you said. Some said you were wrong. One guy in particular says that he knows John Hall and that you ARE incorrect.

Maybe it doesn't really matter- it could be that you just kind of popped up on three or four threads throwing it around without introducing yourself or anything. Maybe it's just me but you came across as a "know-it-all". I guarantee that I probably know less than you do, but at the same time, please don't try to ruin it for me. I deeply enjoy learning about all things harmonica.

Thank you,

-rufus

Post Edited (02-14-06 20:15)

Posted by: sully (---.chubb.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 03:10PM

I have been a member of the HARP-L and along with John Hall for several years. I watched as he built his busisness. Simply go to www.harp-l.com
and search the achieves there is a ton of very useful information as well as history of , harp depot, coast to coast, KEVINS HARP'S which is now lil HARP HOUSE. All the owners are also member of Harp-l as is a few reps from factories , Rick Epping and Fernando from Hohner , and Mike who is from Seydel.

I simply answered questions posted with the information I have. If I am not correct , well that is why I join these groups to discuss what I believe and being corrected is part of that discussion.

5 cent intro , First harp in 1974 at 14, I already posted my " why I play harp" story in another thread. First band playing harp 17. I have never been wiythout one since. Currently play with a two blues bands and a celtic/americana/bluegrass/blues acoustic duo. I am a huge gear head so mics, amps, harps stock and custom info is air to me I can not get enough.

Date: February 15, 2006 05:18PM

Sully,

Do you, or have you ever played a Delta Frost?

See, I've only played 4 different harps in only a few different keys, and for much less time than you have. I like all my harps, yet I like the DF best- so far, but you obviously have more experience than I do.

What's your take on the DF as far as your playing experience with it?

Thanks,

-rufus

Posted by: sully (---.63.chubb.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 09:44PM

plastic comb harps
Special 20's
lo

wooden combs
MB DELUXE
HERING VINTAGE 1923

I have tried most harps sold off the self and always end up back with SP20'S. Since 98% of the tone come from the player record yourself playing and see if what you are getting is what you want. I say record because what you hear while playing is not what others hear. Then stick with the harp that meets your goal.

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas4.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 09:46PM

But have you ever played a Delta Frost?

I did not see that mentioned in your list-

Posted by: sully (---.chubb.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 12:54AM

Yes I have, my list shows what my gig case has, I have full set of each. The LO have a set of natural minors as well.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.