Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hering 1923 Vintage Harp Harmonica
Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 03:02PM

Is anyone familar with the Hering 1923 Vintage Harp Harmonica? I found it at Coast to Coast Music. It's a pretty harp w/ a wooden comb & antique gold-plated cover plates. I'm wondering if it's comparible to the Marine Band or Blues Harp?

~always Maria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hering 1923 Vintage Harp Harmonica
Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 17, 2005 08:38PM

I've heard a few being played, and they sound a great deal like the Marine Band and Blues Harp, but how they play, I have no idea, although, I've heard good and great things about them.

I wood (hehe) imagine they are very similar. When and if I get hold of one, I'll be sure to post what I think of it.

Posted by: GorillaMaster (---.buckeyecom.net)
Date: October 17, 2005 10:32PM

Well heres a quote from another post on the forum:
"Vintage 1923 (A, E)---Best harp out there for playing chords. More comfortable ¡¥wood¡¦ than Hohner¡¦s offerings, awesome tone, awesome looks, awesome feel. For the A„³ Not so awesome longevity (2 weeks and gone). E is still together, but I don¡¦t play the E nearly as much and when I do I baby it due to fear of destroying it."

Date: October 17, 2005 11:27PM

Gee, I was hoping with the extra-thick reed-plates (1,20mm), the Hering 1923 would hold up better than 2 weeks. Well, obviously I'm just gonna have to save up and get me one of these baby's. lol When I do, I'll be sure to put up a review on what I think of it. (wink, grin)))

Thanx for the input people...

~always Maria.

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 18, 2005 05:54PM

I imagine that for the average player, it would hold up for quite longer than that, although thickness doesn't always indicate durability. If it's too thick, it can have a similar effect to being too thin, but for different reasons. A reed that is too thin fatigues too quickly. A reed that is too thick can permanently bend because the force required to bend the note misshapes the reed to the point of no return.

Date: January 09, 2006 05:03PM

I purchased my Hering 1923 Vintage Harp in key of G at: [www.harmonicasandstuff.com]

I did my research & found Harmonicas & Stuff to be the cheapest place to acquire this harmonica. It was $20.95 plus $4.85 for shipping & handling. They were quick to ship. I ordered it Saturday & it arrived on Thursday (and Monday was a postal holiday).

There's no doubt that the Hering Vintage is a beauty with it's antiqued lookin' gold-plated cover plates. It's feel reminds me of my Hohner Blues Harp, more than the Marine Band.

Keep in mind, I've only played Hohner's Marine Bands, one Blues Harp, one Special 20's, & one Golden Melody, so the Hering Vintage is truly a new harp for me. This might be the harmonica I use to practice my bends, for it's very responsive... almost too responsive to what I'm use to. I've only been playing it for a few days, & it's taken me that long to get use to how responsive it is. At first I was bending, when I didn't want to bend. lol

The sounds is wonderful, & everything I would expect from a wooden comb... rich & warm, and when I hit it just right, enough to send chills down my spine. (smile)))

I'm extremely happy with my new harp and will definitely get another in the key of C.

I would give the Hering 1923 Vintage Harp a 3.5 out of 5... And, that could change once I've had it awhile. I'm curious to see how well it holds up. I'm fairly easy on my harmonicas, so I antisipate it will do well for a long time.

~always Maria.

P.S. This harmonica is made in Brazil.

Posted by: sully (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 04:31AM

They hold up if you do not blow/draw to hard most folks over do the blow/draw pressure

Posted by: paulw (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 25, 2006 05:24AM

Maria, How is the 1923 holding up?
I was hoping to have the two I ordered today, but when my order came they had sent Johnson blues Kings ($3 harps) by mistake.

Paul

Date: February 25, 2006 07:14PM

lol Paul... I just posted to the Delta Frost thread to you.... and it should have gone here.

I think you'll like your Vintage Hering. It's a gorgous harp and very responsive to play. I just personally have a problem getting a good embroshure with this harp because it doesn't have much of a 'lip.' It doesn't stop me from playin' it, but I admit I get tired after a few songs. I think if I was a tongue blocker, it might go easier for me, but alas, I'm not there yet. (wink, grin)))

Getting a Johnson instead of a Hering would be very disappointing. I hope that gets resolved soon for you. I got my Vintage Hering from Harmonicas & Stuff.... great price, but I do have a little grip. My Hering has a slight mildew taste on the draws. I read somewhere that rubbing alcohol is a safe bet for cleaning my harp, so I'll try that.

When you finally get your Vintage 1923 Herring, please let us know what you think. (smile)))

~always Maria.

Posted by: alejol (---.152.243.40.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 01:36AM

I haven't played the 1923 Vintage myself, but I know a few straight-ahead blues guys who swear by them. To my understanding, the reed plate is thicker, not the actual reeds themselves. Apparently, the thicker plate allows you to play with more volume, and some harp customizers "sandwich" an empty (reedless) plate in construction with each reeded plate to basically create the same thicker reed plate.

The 1923 Vintage is tuned the old-school way in "just" intonation, which if I remember has a slightly-flatted 5 draw. It's more in tune with itself. Makes for a smoother-sounding chord, but not as true for single-note playing. Most harps available off the shelf are "equal" tuned, (more in tune with the other instruments than with itself), giving you the rougher draw chord like in the Lee Oskar or the Golden Melody. The old blues masters played just-intonation harps, and many of the current blues crowd are knocking themselves out in search of the same tuning.

Would still like to try a 1923 Vintage.

Date: February 26, 2006 07:34AM

Yea, cant wait to get a hold of one, I may order two more keys(they should arrive before my original order does) a C and F.

Are they bigger harps like a Oscar/ delta Frost or small like a marine band?

Paul

Post Edited (02-26-06 09:09)

Date: February 27, 2006 09:32PM

Paul, I believe they are very similar in size to the Marine Bands.

Seldomseem, it's true about the thicker reed plates. Your input on the tuning is interesting for me, since I'm basically a single-note player. Regardless, it's still a great harp.

~always Maria.

Date: February 28, 2006 02:45AM

Thanks, I ordered the C & F today. I prefer the bigger size harp, but can play the marine band I have ok. Been playing the MB more to get used to the size. The 2 draw on my MB seems a little off but other than that I can see why many like them. Still prefer my Delta's they are tough.

Paul

Date: March 03, 2006 09:47PM

Recieved my C and F yesterday. Very cool tone to these harps.
They seem to be well made. Working on breaking them in slowly. I can emagine the cool tunes you could play. Going to play them from time to time but I think they will be more use to me after I learn more. I dont want to waste them now....Very happy.
Paul

Date: March 05, 2006 06:40AM

Update
Man, I love these harps, hope they hold up well cause I cant put em down.
O ya

Posted by: tomahawk59 (---.220.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:49PM

Thanks to Maria for the tip on Harmonicas and Stuff I ordered my Hering 1923 on Tuesday and recieved it yesterday! So far so good, I'll give an update after I play it for awhile.

Keep on Harpin'

Tom

Posted by: tomahawk59 (---.220.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 12:39PM

Ok, I've had this harp for a few days now, and its great nice feel good sound, a bit different than my BH's, but I like it.
On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it an 8.
Keep on Harpin'
Tom

Posted by: VerARRR (---.cm-6-3b.dynamic.ziggo.nl)
Date: July 28, 2011 07:53AM

I used to have one of these things. It's definitely the best looking harp I've ever seen, but mine had a very weird taste and it broke down rather fast. I suppose though, that that last thing must be my fault, and the thing sounds really great. I especially love those lower tones on this one.

Posted by: Werkis2 (95.68.83.---)
Date: August 04, 2011 09:17AM

well this guy gave hering 2,5 * stars from 5 he also did review on other harmonicas, suzuki, lee oskars, seydel and so on ---> its very good review

[www.ianchadwick.com]

Posted by: Vireo (98.17.1.---)
Date: November 20, 2012 10:22PM

Not to get off topic, but what is the quality of the other hering harps? I've never seen them and they look interesting. There very few reviews on the other Hering harps besides the 1923 vintage.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.