Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Suzuki BluesMaster
Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 12:59PM

The Suzuki BluesMaster is probably about as close to a perfect harmonica as you can get. It has a great sound for just about any type of music you want to play. With its solid airtight construction & a design similar to the Hohner Golden Melody or the Meisterklasse, it has volume unmatched by other harmonicas in it's pricerange. Since the reed plates are completey recessed into the plastic comb, this ends up being one of the smoothest harmonicas made. It's fairly easy to bend (at least as easy as a Special 20) and seems to be rather durable. Its only real drawback is that it doesn't have replaceable reed plates, although you can usually find it priced low enough that most reed plate sets cost nearly as much as this harmonica. Whether around a campfire or on stage, the BluesMaster is a good harp to have.

Overall: 4½/5

Post Edited (06-03-05 10:02)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suzuki BluesMaster
Posted by: twopear5 (---.sbtnvt.adelphia.net)
Date: March 06, 2006 06:38PM

Just received a BM in G. I am not really impressed with the quality. However, it seems to me to be very easy to play because of its design. It sounds good and is very responsive but the reeds vibrate after the note is played and gives a subdued "tinny" sound. Is this something that perhaps will go away after a while? Anyway, I am not an expert, but would give it a 3 out of 5.

PS I opened up the BM and the DF today and I am pretty sure that you can use DF plates in the BM.

Posted by: juzis (---.wfd83a.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: March 06, 2006 10:43PM

Totally agree with pcguy's review, IMO in it's price range ( £ 19.99 in the UK ), it's simply the best !

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 07, 2006 04:16AM

averagejoe wrote:

> PS I opened up the BM and the DF today and I am pretty sure
> that you can use DF plates in the BM.

On the HarpMaster, maybe, but I don't think so on the BluesMaster. I could be wrong, but Suzuki doesn't tout the BluesMaster as having replaceable plates...at least they didn't used to. If you find it can be done, I'd love to know. I'm more than aware that just because something isn't stated as being possible, it's not automatically impossible. I would actually love to be wrong about that, but I'm just going by what Suzuki says, & they don't sell reed plates for it. I think they do for the HarpMaster, & I know they do for the ProMaster (which is supposedly the harp that the bluesmaster is most like-plastic comb instead of metal, same basic coverplates.)

Posted by: twopear5 (---.sbtnvt.adelphia.net)
Date: March 07, 2006 12:54PM

Right now (in between typing) I am playing my Suzuki BM with DF plates. Seems to work fine. I realize what Suzuki says, but it seems to me that the plates from DF or Harpmaster work in the BM.

Anyway, Is that tinny aftertone caused because the harp is so airtight?

Thanks - Joe

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 07, 2006 03:01PM

Could be, but I'm not 100% certain. I know the lower keys are worse about it than the higher ones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.